stressed over first top

Hi Everyone

Yesterday I quilted my first quilt for a customer...a crib top that almost gave me a nervous breakdown. :^) I didn't want to do it because I've not had any lessons yet but she really was deperate. I think she had to be to let me do it.

It turned out ok, will see if she likes it when she picks it up today. I now have a million questions to ask Darlene when I take her 3 day workshop later this month.

One thing I did learn is that these machines are not just for anyone...there's so much to learn! I thought I could just load a quilt and quilt it but there's all the pre-planning, deciding which pattern to use, marking it, then doing the actual quilting. It's a lot for just a little quilt and I was so stressed by the time I was done. I've got 2 more customer quilts here which I'm not touching until I get some lessons. :^)

I do have a couple quick questions.....

1. How do you decide what quilting designs to use and how do you view the quilt to start with? Do you lay it out, hang it or what, to get the overall view of it?

2. How do you lock your stitches when you start and stop?

3. How do you prevent the side clamps, that hold your top, from catching of the machine bed? I found I was running into these all the time and it was throwing my stitching off.

Thanks

Rita

Rita:

It's no fun if you get stressed out. I'm sure your client will love it. If you go back and read through the older messages here, you'll find that everyone always says they were so stressed or worried and the client was thrilled.

I think everything you've asked has been covered so you may want to go back and spend some time in the archives. There's a wealth of information there.

Here are my answers to your questions.

1. I start by asking the client what is the intended use of the quilt. If it's for a 5 year old grandson, I doubt they are going to want custom or heirloom quilting. If it's a very basic quilt, I doubt they are going to want custom or heirloom quilting.

Ask the client what type quilting they have in mind. Ask them if they have a price range they would like to stay within. If they don't have a clue what they want, I usually give them a price for an overall meander, a panto and custom.

As far as deciding what type design, you'll learn to let the quilt speak to you. If it's a busy fabric and the quilting design isn't going to show up, there's probably no sense in doing custom.

You might want to spend some time in webshots albums. There are some fantastic quilts in there and you can get lots of ideas.

2. When I start, I bring the bobbin thread up, hold both the top and bobbin thread taut, make a couple of stitches forward, then back, then move to where I can clip the threads and away I go.

When I'm ready to stop, I do a couple of stitches forward, then back, move the machine away from the stitching 5 or 6 inches. Come back to where I was, make one stitch to bring the bobbin thread up, clip both threads.

If you're using 30 or 40 weight cotton on a contrast solid backing, the repeated stitches will show a bit but that's the way it has to be. If using a printed backing, the stops and starts will hardly show.

3. I have trays that fit over my rollers that I can put stuff in and I put my clamps over those. If you don't have trays, you can use a yardstick or some use the curtain rods that have the turned down edges to fit over the rails. All you need to do is raise the clamps up a little and the machine will not hit them.

Also, if I'm not doing ruler work, I take the extended base and that helps.

Thanks Judy, you're such a wealth of info! I had troubles starting and stopping because I had the machine set in auto mode which made it impossible for me to do a couple stitches frwd and bkwd...it was for me but probly because of my inexperience. Do you have your machien in manual or auto mode when making those starting and ending stitches?

Also, when I was finished I used the thread cutter because the lady that owns this top wanted only the top and batting quilting...so I left the bobbin thread on the back. But I will use your method of bringing that bobbin thread to the top when quilting all 3 layers.

Thanks again,

Rita

Rita,

I am a hobby quilter so I can't speak to quilting for customers. But

#2 I have an Ultimate I and I lock my stitiches with the back-tack of 2 - 3

stitiches. I don't have a stitch regulator so I just have to be quick with

the on/off. My machine has a thread cutter but the stitches still need to be

locked. Like Judy, I pull up my bobbin thread and the beginning and end. It

give it a more finished look and means less trimming on the back .

#3 I also had a hard time with closing in on the clamps. I just got the

Hartley clamp supports and I love them. They keep the clamps out of the

way and I think, are worth the $20. I don't do a lot of ruler/template

work so my base is on the shelf most of the time.

I will say one thing about #1. Relax and breathe, this is supposed to be

fun. :D

HI Judy

A picture is truly worht a 1000 words! The first thing I noticed, besides the cute trays your hubby made for you, was that you clip onto your backing and nothing else....and here I was clipping onto all 3 layers. I can see the benefit to leaving the top free cause one could smooth it out with your free hand while working from the center out.

I think I need to come to your house for a hands on. :^))))

Rita

I have my first practice piece on and it's so exciting. I had a hard time getting the bobbin thread to come up. I don't have a stitch regulator so I have to do everything manually. It's so much fun. I was quilting along and I w2as thinking oh it feels like my wheels are stuck in the mud. Duh raise the quilt up. Raised it up and away she flew. Isn't this a blast. I'm wondering if I should put a simple top of my own now on it and just go. I couln't remember how to load it and had a time. I read you should float the top and the batting. I tried it and then I later loaded the top on the roller and seemed to have a nicer surface to work on. We have so much to learn. In the old book from APQS there were no actual pictures of how it should look. I hope you are having as much fun as I am. Maybe you got some customer quilts a little too soon before you felt somewhat safe in what you can offer. I plan to practice on at least 6 or 7 of my own tops to see if I can do it without bubbles and such. Then I will only offer pantographs and simple work at first. Cheryll in Idaho

Rita,

You didn't say which machine you got or if it was new. If it was new, you should have had a "getting started" video. Most of us have developed our own version of how to do many of the things demonstrated, but it's an excellent starting point for someone like you.

And BTW, short of having those cute trays, alot of us use curtain rods to hold up the clamps and get them out of the way.

Caron

Hi All,

As another newbie, I can relate to everything Rita says. One thing I'm confused about, why are you supposed to pin the sides of the quilt? I mean, it does lay smoother, but I kept stitching into the plastic heads of the pins - what a mess! so I now have just bagged the side pins totally. I'm short, 5'1", so how can you keep looking up to see where you are on the quilt, without totally losing where the laser is supposed to be? Also, I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to stitch a quilt with a solid backing! I need some pattern for the "fudge factor"! Last problem, my SR hates me, and cuts out all the time and won't move when I want it to. I've given up on it, but luckily my regular stitching is ok. Whew! Thanks for letting me vent! PS: I have a Liberty.

Gina:

First, there's no reason to give up on the S/R. It is such a wonderful tool and you've paid for it and need to make it work for you. It's may be something as simple as adjusting the wheels. Having had non-regulated machines and now the Millennium, I'd hate to give up the S/R.

Here's my take on why I use the side pins. On the times I've forgotten to use them, the quilting kinda "eats up" the top and pulls it in. The pins help keep the quilt straight. I'm 5'2" so I'm not much taller than you are.

When I'm at the back of the machine, I work right to left. So, I do a basting row on the right side and take those pins out. Then I quilt across the top and as I'm getting very near the left edge, I top and remove those pins or turn them so that the plastic edge is on the batting and the point is facing the center of the quilt.

I mark the edge of my quilting line by putting a piece of painter's tape down on the plastic covering the panto. This way I don't have to keep looking at the quilt top to see if I am approaching the edge.

Hope this helps . .

Hi Caron

No, I didn't get a video but I did get a DVD which only half of it works. I called APQS the day I got it (that was over a month ago) and still haven't recvd a replacement.

Will the video tell me how to do cross hatching, or where to mount the dual spool holder and how to thread the machine after it's mounted? I also bought the base extender (I think that's what it's called) and there's no instructions with it either. I don't understand why there's no instructions send with these things.

I don't want to say anything bad about the people that sold me this machine but I'm feeling like I"m hanging out, flopping in mid air and can't get the hang of using this thing.

My regular sewing machine, which I paid less than $5,000. for comes with a complete manual that shows me totally how to use every function of it....I wish APQS would include something like this with the longarm...it is 4 times the price. :^) I'm just a little frustrated and am sure I'll feel so much better after taking Darlene's course later this month. This is a great place and everyone is so helpful and accomodating...but I still felt pretty stupid at having to ask how to lock my starting and ending stitches. If the machine would have come with a basic "how to" manual I would have

known that.

Rita

Hi Rita,

If you don't get results with your dealer I would call the plant and see if they can do anything for you. There isn't anything more frustrating than feeling like the "Red Headed Stepchild", if nothing else I'm sure that they will point out to someone that the ball was dropped and you will get a replacement DVD.

As far as how I end my starts and stops...I started quilting about 9 years ago and I really didn't like the little back quick motion that you had to do and still need to do, so I have always pulled my bottom threads up and pulling out at least 10 inches of both bottom and top thread then tying a little knot I take a long 12 to 14 inch doll needle and run the threads back under the top and its really really hard to find my starts and stops. Yes you waste a little more thread than you do the other way, but it sure is worth it when you see the great remarks after a judging.

Good Luck, and never feel stupid about having to ask about something. WE TOO, all started out as beginners and believe me WE TOO asked our share of what may have seems stupid questions. But, Like its said, there aren't any "Stupid Questions, Just Stupid Answers."

Bonnie

Rita: I think the basics of how to work the machine itself are covered in the manual that I received from APQS even before my machine arrived.

If you go to the apqs main page and click on accessories, you will see a picture of the dual spool holder and where it is mounted: http://apqs.com/hspool.htm

As far as the base extender, you can go here to see one in use: http://apqs.com/hbase.htm

There is a whole lot to learn and it doesn't come overnight. I'm sure the classes will help you tremendously. Just watching someone else work will put a whole lot of your fears to rest.

Never feel like you're asking a dumb question. Probably almost every one of us had the same questions you're having.

HI Rita,

All of your questions, and MORE will be answered in the workshop March 25-27. I may not be your "dealer of record", but all APQS dealers work together as a team and are more than happy to help out where we can.

By the questions you're asking, I know you'll have a lot of "AHA" moments in class! ;)

All this struggle time you're putting in now will make everything more meaningful, as you'll have a good frame of reference and will remember MUCH more of the class than someone who hasn't struggled first.

Trust me! ;)

Hi, Rita,

You are going to learn SOOOOO much from Darlene! She is a terrific teacher and a wonderful person. I took an intermediate class from her last November. I only wish I'd taken a beginner's workshop from her when I first started quilting. Would have saved me lots of time and frustration.

Have fun in beautiful British Columbia. ;)

Hi Judy,

Just read your response to my "side pin" and SR questions. Thanks! I never even thought of basting the sides, but that would definitely solve the problem. I'll try it. I've talked to Connie about my SR and have adjusted the wheels until I can't shove them in any farther (on the SR box), but I must be doing something wrong. I know there's a definite improvement in the stitch quality with it on, so it's a top priority when I go to the Machine Quilter's Expo in NH next month. Thanks everyone for the fantastic advice. I keep printing out these questions and tips and now have a huge binder! Gina:D

I find a new customer scares me every time.

You dont know them, they dont know you. I tend to e-mail them a lot.

I like to get a feel for what they like.

With an old customer..... they know you... can just say what they think and you can do the same........ they may have an idea..... you may have a better one. Theirs may be better. communication is the key.

and BREATHE.............. I forget to do that...... all the time.

Linda

Well girls, she picked up her crip quilt today and she loved it. I think she was just being nice in the way she raved over it...but then I've never taken compliments very well. I"m happy just the same and she evern gave me a $25.00 tip! Because it was my first top I asked her to pay only for the thread (a couple bucks) but she gave me more, for my time. So I now I have to start keeping books. :^))

What a relief!

Rita

Archived