Vertical SID

Hi!

When doing vertical SID, do you do the whole line all the way down (SID, advance, SID, advance, etc) or SID just the part that's in the open area, do the horizontal SID, and then the rest of the design?

I'm not gettin' it. Maybe it's just been a long day.

Thanks.

I think everyone does it differently.

If you do decide to continue down the whole length, I keep the needle down, and slowly advance the quilt. Please remember to watch for the back bar, as you do NOT want to rip a hole in your quilt! That's the only thing (in my opinion) to watch for.

Other than that, like I said, It's to each his own opinion.

Hi Stephanie,

Having just watched Kimmie's Machine Quilting for Beginners, it seems logical to SID and secure each section (pass) as you get to it. You don't only have to watch the horizontal lines, but the perpendicular ones as well. Once you have these secured all the way, and secured the quilt top, it then is easier to to scroll back and forth to do more intense quilting. In the end, as Sheri said, you have to work out what works best for you.

Owning a distinct lack of confidence, I found her DVD really great!!! I also have watched half of her Twirly Whirley Feathers DVD. Can't wait to have time to practice!!

Regards,

I just finished watching my Twirly Whirly feathers, too, Susanne! I also can't wait to give it a try. I have one of my own quilts that would show the quilting good but don't know if feathers is appropriate. I think I'll do it anyway since the quilt hasn't found it's purpose yet so I think it is a candidate for some practicing! Kimmy sure makes it look easy!

Stephanie,

For me it depends! Lots of help right? If I'm SIDing around blocks then I just find the path that I can do it without lots of stops and starts. If say I have a 4 borders that I'm SIDing and I'm going to turn the quilt to do the length of the borders then I would pin the area as I go (really pin good) and then continue on to the end, turn the quilt, finish SID (I always do the first corner and around the top or bottom border). That way the area is secure and you won't end up with problems. There are very few times that I don't decide to turn a quilt that I'm going to do a nice border in but it has happened. In those cases I would pin the unquilted areas as I advance down and around and back up the other side. You just have to be sure to pin the stink out of it!

I SID just the section available... That way for me at least, the quilt stays nice and tight on the rollers. I would think that if you don't float (I usually don't) then you have to re roll everything to go back up to the top to work. I'm a top to bottom girl... and I have to make notes on what I did at the top so I can do the same at the bottom! LOL, I still have really bad CRS!

I pretty much do it where I SID the section in front of me...but for the side borders I might wait to flip those so its one solid track instead of a bunch of starts and stops... Depending on how good you are at burying your starts and stops...if you are really good and can match up them perfectly then I would just do the section in front...but that's me.

As it was stated you are going to get a different answer from each of us, so go with what works for you.

I've done it both ways--worked all the way down, buried threads on the sides to match stitching etc., However, the last three quilts I really found it much simpler to pin those sides as you quilt the body and then turn the quilt. It takes hardly any time at all and I think it saves time when you think about all the starts and stops and burying of threads--plus it's much easier to keep the pattern nice since you're completing a big area all at once. One more opinion! Jane

For me, it also depends on where the SID is. If the vertical SID is for blocks in a small quilt (lap or smaller) then I do it as I go.

If the quilt is larger, then I do like to stabilize all blocks before I start filling in the blocks. As much as I hate to re-roll, a big quilt just seems to behave better if stabilized. I do this either with SIDing each block or baste edge to edge every 8 inches for the length of the quilt and then carefully roll back to the top to quilt the rest of the quilt.

But if the SID is for a vertical border, it depends on 2 things:

#1 what will be going in the border ?

#2 what kind of backing do I have?

If my border design would look better continuous, (cable, rope, some (not all) feathers) then I would not quilt the vertical border SID until I turn the quilt to do the border design.

If my border design is easily breakable (piano keys, swags with or without beadboard, some feathers) AND the backing will not show all those stops and starts, then I will quilt what is in front of me (including vertical SID) and then roll to the next section and not have to turn the quilt.

I think that we all develop a style of our own, whatever works best for us and the quilt.

I find if I do the horizontal SID and borders, I am better able to turn the quilt to do the vertical (which are now horizontal) SID and borders. My problem is getting the exact starting point to join with the exact ending point if I do it all from one direction. This was especially the case with one I just finished that had all Redwork of Mamie Faces, a replica of a Civil War quilt. Instead of sashing, there was narrow red rick-rack. Really difficult to see the start and stop points on that one. I will try to post the Mamie quilt on a later post. No time at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The SID will be between the outer border and a narrow inner border. It looks like I'll do the horizontal, pin the sides, do the random circles in the body, piano key in the top/bottom border. Turn the quilt, do the SID and the other piano key.

Got it!

Archived