MQX 2010

LauraJ

Heidi, Clearly I'm not the only one already thinking about next years MQX. One of my friends went this year for the first time, you met her husband, and she is already planning for next year. She had a great time and was only there for 1 day. Some of the other ladies on here look like they are already getting out their maps and plotting out driving routes. Too funny. We're all the same....crazy.

Dianne

When I booked at the Westin, I was also quoted $149 (plus 13% tax) per night as the MQX rate.

Dianne,

I'm looking forward to your bar-be-que. It sounds like a great time. Thank you for planning this for us.

One of the first things I did when I got home from MQX was to book the room for next year. That's acarry...as I also got my credit card bill...almost $3,000, and that didn't include my 12 classes and 3 events, as they had to be paid ahead of time. I guess I better pay that off and start saving for next year. :)

Laurie, The drive is maybe 1 hour. Not that bad a drive. I believe I 95 to I 93 right into Cambridge. The slowest part, depending on traffic will be going through Boston. I 93 can really back up during rush hour, it's the main highway through Boston. She sure is going to be a long way from home. If you are flying out back to CA. after visiting then you want to fly out of Logan Airport in Boston. TF Green/Providence is better to fly into for MQX. Keep me posted if there is anything I can do for you.

Dianne

OMG Sandra, I hope that includes the hotel bill! I know you got a bunch of thread and some new templates from Circle Lord but wow that really added up. I haven't received any bills yet but I'm sure it's going to be up there.

Dianne

I'm in for next year, I'd love to share a room! I don't smoke or have any other habits other then fabric and gadgets. We should probably reserve a room now (it can always be cancelled if anything happens) but I won't leave a roomate hanging with a bill. I hate driving but willing to let someone else help drive my car. I have an Escape hybird.

Jolene are you military? PAX River is beautiful. You'll have to come down to VA for the Mid-Atlantic quilt show next year. There's two great quilt/sewing (not much long arm) shows at the Dullas Expo center one in June and the other in Sept or Oct. Not to mention that you'll have two G-Street Fabric stores.

Dianne, our mini-shop hop was great. We took Heidi's suggestion and went to Marden's in Maine - came back with bolts from there of neutrals and whites and a few other blenders as well.

On our way home, we stopped at Keepsake and like everyone said, we were totally overwhelmed. I did have a few specifics I was looking for - Amish black, some background fabric for a current project and I also picked up some batiks from their sale room.

At Anne's suggestion we stopped at Yankee Pride in VT. and managed to boost their economy as well.

The only store we were disappointed in was Dreamweavers. They did have a lovely selection, but we found their prices fairly high.

We had a wonderful time at MQX and on our own little shop hop. Now I need to get busy and actually make something with all the fabric I bought!:D

Originally posted by DB

Laurie, The drive is maybe 1 hour. Not that bad a drive. I believe I 95 to I 93 right into Cambridge. The slowest part, depending on traffic will be going through Boston. I 93 can really back up during rush hour, it's the main highway through Boston. She sure is going to be a long way from home. If you are flying out back to CA. after visiting then you want to fly out of Logan Airport in Boston. TF Green/Providence is better to fly into for MQX. Keep me posted if there is anything I can do for you.

Dianne

Thanks, Dianne! I'll keep this post handy so I'll have the info when the time comes.

Long way from home, indeed. :(

I would also be interested in the bbq and shop hop! How fun!

Connie, my DH is in the USMC, retires in three weeks (30 yrs). We're moving to the Pax River area for his new job. We we're stationed at Quantico for 6 yrs a long time ago. I will be hitting the quilt shows in the area and beyond.

I'll need a roommate or two - who wants to be my friend and share?:D:D:D You can tell this is a major obsession for us planning so far in advance. Heck it only took two months to plan my wedding.

Jolene,

My hubby is a retired Marine too and I also lived in Quantico for 6 years! When were you there. I swear you look so familiar. We were there from 1992 - 1998. Congrats on retirement! It is wonderful! Hubby has been retired 6 years now. He works for the VA and loves it. I love not having to move every 3 years!

Jolene, consider me a friend. I retired July 2007 after 27 years in the Navy. I'm in Virginia Beach, just 5 hours down the road. I will be at the Quilt Quest show 5, ,6 or 7

June (Expo center). I also plan on going to the big show in Philly this fall (was in Harrisburg but moved). Anyway, if anyone wants to make a reservation I'll share. I know this is crazy being a year away, but you have to plan ahead!!! Like they say in the Navy, if you're on time you're late!

Heidi, we were there 1986 - late summer of 1992 then left for our first stint in Okinawa. DH was with HMX. Loved the area and looking forward to going back, having seasons again and being closer to "places". I can't wait for him to retire, he's a bit hesitant. I guess after wearing the same uniform for 30 yrs its hard to think there's life after the military. Whats awesome is my son was just commissioned (USMC also) this month and will be my DH's retiring officer. I tear up just thinking about it.

Connie, when is the Philly show? Maybe things will have settled down from the move by then and I can go.

Guest Linda S

I would book a room now if you want to go to MQX 2010. I have booked at the Westin and yes, the rate is $149. Without the MQX rate, you'll be paying over $400/night. A shop-hop on the Cape would be great. I usually spend the week after MQX on the Cape. My sister lives in Sandwich and we usually go to Heartbeat and Tumbleweeds. There is a new shop open in West Barnstable (Yummy Goods) - not a quilting shop, but it is owned by a new designer for Free Spirit Fabrics (see their Sweet Pea line), Melissa Averinos. It has some really cool and funky gifts in it. Unfortunately, due to the odd hours, I had to go on my last day on the Cape right before I headed to Logan, so I couldn't buy and pack a Chicken Chucker (tee hee).

With the added space, MQX 2010 promises to be bigger and better than it was in Manchester. I hope to see many of you there. I believe I will be teaching again!

Linda

Dianne,

The $3,000 included the room and my food & a 1 way flight (ff for the other way), as well as my thread and all the other goodies. So, I really wasn't as "bad" as my post sounded. :) It included everything except my classes because they were paid when I registered ahead of time. Still, everything I bought came home in one tote bag and my husband didn't even flinch. :) Of course, I got the cc bill before he opened it. LOL

Now I think I should begin my shopping list for 2010. HA!

Sandra, I think that is about what I spent and I didn't fly anywhere. Between the thread, Circle Lord with extra templates, starter ruler package from Gadget Girls, stencils and I don't know what else it does start to add up. I think I'm set for a while. Now I just need to find the time to get some of these quilts done.

Have you run into Joan? Is she planning on going in 2010?

Lisa will you be attending next year?

Dianne

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been to MQS a couple of times but this will be my first visit to MQX and I'm already excited!

Diane, what a kind offer to host a get together. The girls in kansas (MQS) did a similar thing and it was such an experience to meet people I had often chatted with on this forum. A shop hop sounds great too.

I shall be staying at the Weston arriving Mon 12th.

Archived