top thread knots on back

i have an ongoing problem and am hoping i can get a list of things to check--i have scoured this forum and tried what i thought might help but i still have the problem... it happens with every quilt i've done lately... there's a knot on the back and when i 'unknot' it with a pin, i discover it's the top thread and there seems to be quite a lot of thread (at least 1/4" + of the top thread)... very frustrating.. because i don't notice it (looks fine on the top) until i've got the quilt off the rack, i end up pulling each stitch until the thread slack is taken up (make sense?)...

i've thoroughly cleaned and rethreaded my machine over and over... and made sure the thread doesn't twist through the guides (i mainly use signature cotton)... i check my bobbin... this happens with various threads (top and bottom) and battings i'm using so i'm thinking something mechanical is wrong with the machine... any ideas... thanks in advance! charla

I wish I could help but on my last quilt the same thing happened to me! And I didn't notice it until it was off the frame. It didn't happen all over just on certain areas. I am using So Fine in the bobbin and Signature Cotton on top. I'll be watching to see what help you get. Good lunck!

thanks shana.. i've played the tension game... the thread breaks when i turn the tension knob too much... i back it off, and it still happens... the knot happens every couple inches... i used to have gread tension/stitches but it's happened on the last 8 or so quilts i've done... i thought it would work itself out, but it hasn't...

I also have this problem--especially with King Tut. The best advice I have seen, besides tightening the top tension a tad, was to make sure the top isn't tight/tight on the rollers. Let it sag a bit. Also, if tightening the top thread causes breakage, loosen the bobbin instead--same difference! Good luck and let us know what combination of solutions worked for you.:)

Charla,

Try threading the top thread through the three hole thread guide as shown in the photo in the most recent Quilt Talk.

Sometimes the knot you describe can be caused by the thread exiting the spool and twisting more as it passes through the 3-hole guide (usually the way it's threaded serves to untwist the thread as it passes through the guide, but with some spools it actually adds more twist). As the needle enters and exits the fabric, at the instant the needle's pressure on the top thread releases, the top thread forms a little slip knot or loop on the back.

Also try putting a small piece of cotton batting into the first thread guide above the spool if you haven't already done so. This also helps tame thread that jumps erratically from the spool.

Check the check spring that's attached to the tension disks. Make sure the bottom of the "U" part of that spring rests at about 11:00. If it isn't, or if it's lost its "springiness" then the pressure on the top thread is released prematurely and causes those loops.

Double check the hook retaining finger (it protrudes from the front of the machine into the bobbin basket and can be seen when you remove the needle plate.) It should extend into the opening in the bobbin basket about 1/3 of the way. If it's too far in, it will grab hold of the top thread for an instant and can cause loops as well.

Hopefully one of these suggestions will fix things for you!

I've had the same complaint also, not all the time, only on special quilt sandwiches and using verigated thread. The top tension is not loose. Im thinking that the verigated thread may not be a consistant thickness. Also if the backing fabric is a really tight weave I tend to have issues too.

I will check out my retaining finger to make sure it's in the right place. Many thanks Dawn. your so cool :cool: I think I'm your biggest fan :D

I've been having this problem also. It will happen on a quilt and then everything will be great for 4 or 5 quilts then

BAM again.

I bought a new hook because that is what I figure the problem was. Now the problem is gone for now.

Sorry I'm not more help but I started using tons of thread lube and the problem is gone but I don't

know if that was the fix or my gremlin took a break.

Michele

UPDATE: i'll whisper this since i'm not sure if millie is on the road to perfection again... i printed out everyone's comments on this thread as well as dawn's article... then i went through EACH comment and ticked them off as i went along... the only things i tweeked was to rethread in the guides, batting in the first one, 11 o'clocked the 'u' in the wire thing... THEN i cracked out the manual that came with my millie... :o and in the chapter "tension timing" i went page by page, line by line and checked everthing on that... everything seemed to be ok UNTIL i got to diagram F... it's the 'hook maintenance instructions'... there was a little burr on the edge (green area).. so i took an emery board and filed it out... i need to get some very fine sandpaper and redo it, but i did the best i could... when i tested my machine, guess what?? no more knots on the back so far... my tension is a little off, but that's probably because i've been messing with the bobbin and top thread tensions... the main thing is that there are no knots of top thread (so far)... i'm cautiously optimistic... will keep you posted...

one other problem i'm having is that my machine does long stitches--it seems the regulator kicks off while it's still doing the 'chirping' sound... but that's for another thread... THANKS everyone... now maybe i can finish the ronald mcdonald quilt before my quilt guild meeting tomorrow!! charla

Archived