Grandma's Dresses, finished!!

Kay I just remembered something...this past winter I did a quilt for a friend in Reno, and I didn't have the embroidery machine uncovered so I used the DSM and the letters that are built in...and ran the information down the binding..... It was an idea that I stole from a mag...I think it was Fons and Porter, but not sure. You take the binding and stitch out the words down the folded edge of the binding...so when you fold it over to hand stitch it...they are right side up and permanently there. I used a thread that was pretty much the same color as the binding so it didn't stand out, but its there..... and that isn't coming out anytime soon either.

Oh, and I did realize you were talking about the first quilt not the current one with the dresses....

Hi Ladies,

I am still a newbie to the forum, (and a wannabe-longarmer... I am in awe of all of your work!), and just couldn't let this post go by without a comment. I have been a quilt-lover all my life, and the first question that comes to my mind when I see a beautiful quilt is "Oh, I wonder WHO made this?".... Quilters are Artists, and I believe should be recognized for their work... no different than a painter who puts brush to canvas......Can you imagine asking da Vinci not to sign the Mona Lisa!

I am also interested in genealogy, and identifying the maker of "family heirlooms" is a huge and important piece of the puzzle. I, for one, would want to know for certain if the cherished heirloom I held in my possession was made by Great Grandma, or by the hired help! As one who has done a small amount of family research I know how frustrating it is to hit the proverbial brick wall. And as a quilter I would like us all to make it easier on our future genealogists by properly identifying precious handmade articles with a permanent label.

Oh, and Kay..... Beautiful work! You should be very proud, and yes, ALL of your work should be "autographed"! You designed it, pieced it, quilted it....It is YOUR work, even if you sell it. Your quilts are your Mona Lisas!

Beautiful work, Kay. My cousin would be interested in a Man's Shirt pattern.

I like the idea of identifying quilts. To put your name on the edge and cover it up reminds me of a story I heard once about the dressmaker for the queen who always hemmed a strand of her hair into the garments she made. It always made me wonder if they knew DNA identification would be a thing of the future?

So Bonnie, do you identify all the quilts you do, or just the ones you piece AND quilt? If I made the whole thing, I would certainly want my label on it--sort of like the "Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law" labels on commercial comforters.:P

Kay,

Your story of the quilt is precious. I have a box of old clothes from my father-in-law and my mother. What a neat idea for creating memories. Thanks for sharing.

Bonnie, your personalized binding message is one to remember. Thanks for sharing.

Kay I absolutely love this quilt. When I first looked at it, it reminded me of my Gram. She always wore dresses, I think she may even have worn a dress fishing. The all look just like her. I don't have any of her dresses left but I think I do my mom's what a wonderful tribute you created. Thank you so much for sharing this. You will be getting an email from me as I definetly want this pattern. and the men's shirts too. I hope you are copywriting all you patterns. You should start your own company. You are terrific.

Originally posted by Boni

So Bonnie, do you identify all the quilts you do, or just the ones you piece AND quilt?

Bonnie I put labels only on the quilts that I piece and then quilt....for either commision or for gifts. I would never never think to put on a label to a customers quilt taht I was only the quilter..... that is unless they ask and ask to include me as the quilter.

I love the quilt. Such a great idea and she will treasure it.

I believe one should get credit for their work. I have a sentence at the bottom of my work order that says:

"If this quilt is displayed in public or published in any way, such as a quilt show, state fair, magazine, etc. I agree to credit Julie Karlak / Simply Divine Quilt Company as the quilter."

I can't actually police this.

I know that some quilters put their signature mark (a quilting design) into the quilt somewhere. Linda Taylor quilts a little hand.

I really like the idea from a previous post that puts her name in perment ink on the back right edge of the quilt, so it will be covered by binding.

I hope the majority of our customers will give credit to us for the quilting and include it on the label, but I'm sure some don't.

I agree you should be acknowledged for your very hard and excellent work.

I have just completed quilt for a client. She did all the redwork, but I did all the sewing and embellishing on it. When I made the label, it never occurred to put my name on it as the quilter, at least. Just never thought of it.

I can easily see where that would have been a very nice thing to have added.

I'll try to post a few pics of this redwork Mamie quilt as soon as I figure it out.

Your quilt is great. A workman should be rewarded acknowledged for his/her work. Even the Bible agrees with that.

This quilt is adorable and wonderful quilting!!!!

I always take credit for my piecing and quilting - I really think that if someone did not want me to, then I would not want to do the work - I put a lot of time and effort into what I do (just like all of us) and it has taken soooooo many hours to get to the point that I feel that I can do some quilting for others - therefore, I get the credit as should all piecers and quilters. I feel that if someone does not want your name on the main label, you could always make a smaller label that can be attached to a lower corner or side that simply stats that you are the quilter. Just my opinion. That said, Hester, who has done several of my quilts (prior to my LA days) did not seem concerned with her name being on the quilt. I always let people know that she was the quilter when they see my quilts. Credit given where credit is due.

I do just as Julie K does. And so far, the quilts that I know I've quilted and have been in shows have my name on them as quilter. The only ones that I do start to finish are mine.

And Kay, I did send you an e-mail. I'll wait to hear from you so I know where to send the payment for the Dresses pattern and I have a closet full of my DH's shirts that will be used on the Men's Shirt pattern that you will be making up.

Your Dresses quilt is wonderful. Such a beautiful design of pattern, fabric and quilting. :)

Thank you Meg, I knew most of your quilts were gifts and not necessarily going to be put in a show. All my quilts I did prior to my LA days have labels on them saying they were quilted by Marilyn Bager and I have several hanging on my walls..When people come to drop off a quilt and admire one her wonderful quilting jobs, I make sure I tell them I didn't quilt that and who it was done by. Who woudn't want a Marilyn Badger quilt? and I'm lucky enough to have many:D

All of you in the forum are so wonderful. And I'll be getting back to those who want the pattern. I have decided that all the money form this patterns sell will go to my son for his medical treatment. Last week we found out that he has MS. His MRI showed 16 lesions in his brain and 2 in the spinal cord at the neck. He is only 27, has 4 little children, ages 3 to 8. My heart is just breaking for him and his family. We haven't gotten the results of his spinal tap yet. That test will tell us how aggressive the disease is. He will start treatment this week, injections every day for the rest of his life. God, give us strength to get through all of this. Please keep James and his family in your prayers.

A very sad mom,

Kay

Kay,

Your quilt is beautiful and as Shana said, thank you for the background on it.

As for the recognition...It takes a long time to learn the ins and outs of LA quilting and the quilter deserves the recognition as much as the piecer/appiquer. It the latter wanted all the credit she should do it all herself. Like the others have said, it should be in the contract that your name will be on the quilt. On the binding is excellent if it can't appear on the main label. That way it can't be shown in a competition without your getting the credit for quilting it.

I wish I could have done that with my interior design.

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I will keep him in my prayers and I'm sure others will as well. ((((hug)))))

Thank you, for your support. I am so looking forward to the MQS show this month. I'll be working with Loes in her Pre-Design classes. But in between classes I hope to meet a lot of you on this forum. Thank you for the love, hugs and all your prayers. I'm off now to see what I can get done today, I'll eat this elephant, one bite at a time!

Kay

Archived