new or used

I'm almost ready to purchase a LA. I have done my homework and will probably go with a Millie. My question is whether to buy a new one or buy a used one from an individual on the quilting forums? I have been watching the markets on both. What I want and what I can afford is not always the same. What has been your experiences?

I bought mine used from APQS a zillion years ago...the original owner upgraded and I got it from the factory after they went through it.

Buying from a forum member is a good think if you feel the price is right....I would trust buying one from anyone here on the APQS forum, because we all know each other pretty well, but you will be giving up the warranty that might still be on the machine.

Check to see what that would be if you buy from private sale or if you buy from APQS. The difference may not be that big of a deal for you...in savings. These machines are such work horses...I didn't need any work done to mine that would have fallen into that bracket until it was WAY WAY WAY out of warranty anyways....

Also how will you be getting it...are they boxing it up in the original boxes or are you going to pick it up....freight costs are expensive and so are having someone crate your purchase.

I got a used Millie from my local dealer, Deb Figvid/APQS. I got the warranty and the best set up ever. I wanted the warranty and I know that the refurbushment was complete. I'm very happy and have the power advance, channel locks and the up and down on it. It is the best and scariest decision I've ever made, even and above buying my home. Keep on trusting yourself, you will know what you need to do.

Thanks for you replies. It is my understanding that the warranty does not transfer. We have rarely had to use a warranty on anything. The couple of machines I am contemplating still have their or are in their boxes and we would go and pick them up ourselves. I love road trips!

Money is a consideration and because I would like to have the fabric advance and hydraulic lift, the used ones are more affordable plus they have goodies they have collected. I am taking classes next week at the MQS and am hoping the dealers might just have spectacular deals.

Susie you are so right in waiting to see what the show prices will be at MQX....but here is an additional thought.

Buying used as you said you can't get all the goodies you would like....Okay, that is true. Have you checked to see if the items you want can be added at a later date and what the extra costs will be at that time. Maybe just getting the machine and looking into the other items will also work for you in time and money.

Just a thought.

I bought used from APQS and I had them set it up which cost 500. I heard some dealers will set it up for you. That would be great if you had a local dealer. I did not have one. when you buy used from the company you do get a one year warrenty. I love my machine and I saved thousands buying used. One thing you might consider is if you plan on possibly going computer guided there may be things you need to find out about this.

I didn't buy used because I could afford new, but I certainly recommend used if you need to save the money and don't want to be tied down with big payments.

Both APQS and Gammill (I don't know about the others) are industrial machines designed to be used 8 hours a day (maybe more) every day, 5 days a week (maybe more) every week, for months/years at a time with minimal upkeep and maintenance. If Iwere to buy used, I would prefer to go with a factory refurbished (rebuilt?) trade-in machine having a limited warranty over buying directly from another quilter, but that's just me.

Archived