wait a minute...

i was thinking (no, it didn't hurt :) ) the other week someone posted about needing to borrow ruler bases for MQs for machines without a thread cutter.

that lead to me remembering a picture that was posted of a ruler base...that base didn't look like mine. i have millie and this is my ruler base.

the reason i ask is the one i saw the picture had the cutout for around the thread cutter cove, mine doesn't, plus when i do ruler work my ruler wobbles on the back of the cover for my thread cutter. (the answer would help explain alot!)

do i have the right base? i don't think i do. i bought this machine used, and this is what i got.

post--13461901854082_thumb.jpg

You got the wrong one... Look at this page: http://www.apqs.com/supplies_hartley.php

It shows both. Yours should have a cut out for the thread cutter.

I have an Off the Edge base from Gadget Girls (I think) that works really well. It clamps on and off and isn't as heavy as the Hartley but is very stable. I also really like Donita Reeve's base, but can't see a logical reason to own two.

dory- i've been looking at donita's base....i put it on my "santa" list....i'm thinking that's the one i'll get.

http://www.lovetoquilt.com/longarm_quilting_accessories/rulermate_apqs.htm

i'm liking the idea of the beleved edge, plus the security of it screwing into the machine, instead of just sitting on top...

anybody have this one? what do you think? like/ dislikes?

looks like i'm in the market for a new base...*ggrrr*

is there a 'better mousetrap'

(amy- be quite! you'll ginz me. *knocks on wood*)

Oh, yeah....that's it! Especially if you plan to leave it on all the time. Most seem to do that and don't have an issue with it. Plus, I think if you were going to take if off an on, it would be too much of a pain.

But your Santa list?? December...Really??? That's an awfully long ways away...too long IMO!!

This is what I have...

http://store.offtheedgequilting.com/baseplates.html

I bought it before I really knew what I wanted; but it doesn work well, so I haven't been able to justify changing...yet.;)

Hi Shannon,

As Amy said, you've got an early version of the Hartley Base. The newer model is quite a bit wider on the right hand side to allow better use of the MicroDrive handles. It also has the space filled in at the back so your rulers won't get hung up on the edge as easily.

I slip on my Hartley base when I just need to do quick ruler work in one block, or if I'm using the MicroDrive handles. If I'm going to be doing a lot of SID work, then I take the time to put on my RulerMate (Donita Reeve). I also leave the RulerMate on ALL the time when I'm using the CompuQuilter. It keeps the area that's being quilted nice and stable and I find it improves the end result. I can also use my hands flat on the base to slightly manipulate the quilt sandwich if needed.

It would be great if there was ONE base that was great for ALL applications, but I haven't found one yet.

thanks! darlene- one more ?. does the cover to the thread cutter have to come off also with the RulerMate? i'm guessing yes. plus, it's less expensive than hartleys base.

dory- i got sick of seeing me staring back at me from the screen so i put up a bug i doodled last weekend. get it doodlebug = bug in avatar. i'll get sick of it and change it to something else in a couple months...

Archived