Advice on table size

Hello everyone..

I just put a deposit on my APQS Millennium, and initially, I thought I wanted a 14 foot table. After measuring (again)the place where I plan to put the machine, while it can accomodate a 14 foot table, a 12 would certainly be less obnoxious! How many times in quilting for yourself or others do you actually need a 14 foot table? I am not trying to make a living at this, so I am wondering if it would be just as practical to have the 12 foot table, and decline the quilts that would require the longer table. What do you think?

Lynn

I have the 14 and prefer it so I can slide the machine over to the side. I have only quilted very large quilts that require larger than a 12 about 3-4 times a year. But I'm on the smaller size - maybe 15-20 quilts a month during my busy season. Just how obnoxious do you think it will be? Have to admit, I do like to be able to get around my machine from both ends.

BTW - I went with the Liberty 5 years ago and wish I had gone with the Millie. Since I began with only quilting for myself I didn't go with the larger setup. And now wish I had....

Kathy A ~ Templeton, Mass.

You want the largest size you can fit your studio. We didn't think we would need the 14 ft table either but our 4th customer had a monstrous size T-shirt quilt that we had to turn side ways on the 14th ft table. Even though you may not want to use your system for money, we made $850 from the super-sized T-shirt quilt.

Also, the 14 ft tables are great for those California Kings.

I also have a board that I put across the bars for my "tools" if I'm working on a custom quilt so even if I have a king size quilt loaded, I also have my tools right beside me within reach on the machine itself.

You are going to love your new Milli!

Congrats on your purchase!

Welcome to the APQS family!

I wouldn't say that I need it so much for big quilts but I like being to push my machine off the quilt with no problems. I had a 12 ft. table previously and I really enjoy the extra space. I have a few tools that I use from the front of the machine and I like having the space for them as well. I know there are others that have tools to use from the back of the machine and they use the extra space for those. You will be surprised how handy the extra 2 ft comes in.

I have a Liberty on an 11 foot frame. A larger frame would not fit in my room and still give me room to get around the one side. The other side is right up against the wall.

I don't have a business, but have done a few quilts for friends. I recently finished a 104" X 115" quilt for a friend. I had to put a thin acrylic sheet under my needle area to protect the quilt from possible oil drips when I parked the machine over night. I did not have enough space to move the machine off the quilt. More space would have been great to have.

I also have a tray, like someone mentioned above, and I had to remove it for this quilt, and also for a few other large quilts.

If I had a business, I might feel I needed a 12 or 14 foot frame to accomodate customer's quilts. But then I might feel I needed a Freedom, or larger machine, too. For now, I am happy with my set-up, but an 11 foot frame is limiting.

If a 14 foot frame is too tight for your room, perhaps a 13 foot frame would be perfect.

I have had a 14 ft table and now a 12 ft table. There are times when a 14 ft would be nice, but not a necessity. I have ample room to fit a 14 ft table as my room is 12 x 22 ft. If I bought a machine today, I would buy a 12 ft table. I have never had a customer quilt that wouldn't fit on a 12 ft when I was in business. Some would be a tighter fit, but everything is workable with either table.

Thank you all for your input. I have a couple weeks to mull it all over. You make good points about being able to move the machine off the quilt for the night, keep tools attached, etc. I will have to decide whether the bit of extra convenience is worth the space it will take up on a continuous basis. Right now, I'm leaning toward the 12 ft., as the machine comes with the automatic advance which will add a few more inches.

Lynn

I have the 14 foot table with the automatic advance on it. I can only get around one end of the table and then it is somewhat tight. However, I am not unhappy with the set up. I can leave my Hartely Fence base in place and still push the machine aside for most of my quilts. It also gives me space to leave some of my tools on the table area.

Pamela

Kenna,

I have a fairly large family room in my basement that I use for my studio. I don't remember how wide the area is that I have the milli in but I did realize that the reason it is a tight squeeze is not because of the milli, it is where I have a bookcase/shelving unit. I could also change the direction of the milli and be able to walk around it on both ends. I am sorry this doesn't really answer you question. I would estimate that with the fabric advance the entire table is between 15 and 16 feet long. APQS could probably give you the needed numbers.

Pamela

When I bought the Millenium I could have had either the 12 or 14 table for the same price. I took the 12 foot and it works for me. I had room for either one and now as an after thought and reading all the replies, maybe I should have chosen the 14 but too late. We had to put the parts through the window as we could not make the turns into the house but we got it set up in the living room. I only quilt for myself as I am not good enough to quilt for others. I have a neighbor who hand quilts for me on any I don't want to ruin on the machine.

Archived