Kimmyquilt

Hi Holly-

The quilt you are referring to is fondly called the OMGTQIATWICBIJBI! (Oh My God This Quilt Is A Train Wreck I Can't Believe I Just Bought It!) quilt when it's not being called something even worse. LOL! You know how the pictures on ebay are supposed to show what the item looks like in real life? Well, sometimes they do and sometimes...ummm...not so much. This quilt was very not so much. The plates were so puffed up that they looked like Jiffy Pop Popcorn right after it's come off the stovetop. Yikes.

I knew that I'd have to quilt the daylights out of it to take up all of that fullness, and I knew I'd want to have a batting that would really shrink when washed to take up even more of the fullness, so I chose Hobb's Heirloom. With the 80% cotton I knew I'd get the shrinkage I was looking for to camouflage the fullness, but the 20% polyester would still give me the loft and definition I was looking for to show off my feathers. In the end, it worked and the Jiffy Pop Popcorn look went away. Yay.

It still needs a binding. Don't tell anybody. :D

Kimmy

Originally posted by Hollyrw

Thanks Kimmy. I know what you mean about some of those ebay "finds". I say there is a reason this top was put in Grandma's chest and never quilted! It's great when they turn out beautiful though.

I guess I'm a lucky one. I am just starting out and I am ready to really move from practice pieces (my doggie loves them) to a real quilt. We also just got a new bed with a thick mattress which my other quilts don't quite cover, so I bought a top to practice on from ebay. I figured if I really mess it up, no big deal.

Well, this top is gorgeous. It is appliqued with beautiful little stitches and has beautiful feather triangle borders where each corner is a perfect match.

Now I'm worried about ruining this!

2158743200057017138XgtVOH

Well, Linda, you pulled me out of lurkdom on this forum! I read all the time, but I don't think I've ever posted.

You're really making progress with your new machine if you're ready to take on that beautiful quilt you got off eBay! I can't wait to see the finished product. I've been pretty lucky with the tops I've purchased that way too - and hopefully one of these days I'll find time to quilt them!

Louise in Iowa

Shana, I hate to admit that I've had my machine nearly three years and have finished only about five or six quilts! I'm still working at my money-making job full-time, and with all the changes we've seen lately, it's been requiring lots of extra hours that I'd rather be spending at the longarm. Oh, well, someday I'll retire and have time to do what I want (she says wistfully).

My latest goal is to master feathers - using Kimmy's latest DVD for guidance. My backtracking needs a lot of work, but I'm getting there.

I've included my Webshots site below my name (I hope). I have only three of my longarmed quilts in the 2008 Quilts folder, but have two more to add one of these days!

Thanks for the encouragement to finally give me the nerve to share my work!

I took the plunge and ordered a top from ebay this month for the first time. It's a DWR that was mostly hand-pieced. It looks pretty good, no bad smells...just needs a good pressing. Also, there is one random piece just missing, I'll have to hit the stash to see what I can replace it with. I can't wait to try some of the great techniques I've seen on the forum on this quilt. What a great way to get a practice piece, I couldn't have bought the material for what I paid for the top, so I'm pretty happy and will probably do this again sometime!

Originally posted by lnieland

I'm still working at my money-making job full-time, and with all the changes we've seen lately, it's been requiring lots of extra hours that I'd rather be spending at the longarm. Oh, well, someday I'll retire and have time to do what I want (she says wistfully).

Oh Louise, ditto, ditto and ditto some more. I am just bored with working and still have a ways to go. I am not bored at work mind you, just tired of having to go to work when I would rather be home sewing, creating and quiting. Very frustrating to me. Those darn weekends just go by to fast. :mad:

Archived