PDF Fabric and Coloring questions answered - Thank-you all!!!

Great Grandma sent a bunch of Pink fabric with butterflies on it and Camo-Pink fabric for the backing, and batting. All great quilt shop fabric and Quilters Dream Batting. She thought I could just "quilt them together" and make the girls each a blanket.

I purchased a bunch of PDF - Prepared for Dying Fabric - and will cut it into large squares. I had my husband draw up some simple Butterflies in different shapes and styles. I want the girls to color in their own butterfly blocks.

Now - to the questions.... I always pre-wash my fabrics. I have not done so yet with this stuff. I am guessing that I should NOT do so with the PDF fabric....????? Would the color crayons set-in better if NOT washed????

I have not made this type of block before either. Am I correct in thinking that you just color the blocks and then set them from the back side with a HOT dry iron??? (making sure to cover my ironing board with something!!;))

I would like to use some of the fabrics in my stash for sashings and / or cornerstones and such. Do you think I should wash the pink fabrics?? Or will it not be a problem at all??? (perhaps I am just over-thinking this into a problem.... I tend to do that now and then....) :)

Judi, in my experience you should wash the fabrics that you will color on to remove any chemicals, like sizing so that the crayons or ink can sink into the fibers, not sit on them. I like using the most inexpensive crayons, Prang is one brand that works well. I iron freezer paper on the back for stabilizing and then I heat set from the front with muslin or white paper towels so that they can abosrb any extra crayon.

I've also used acrylic paints with kids thumbprints and then drew around the thumbs or handprints to creat fish or animals. The kids love doing this, I just have a lot of paper towels on hand and helper to wash them up. :)

I don't know if washing will make that much difference...I would do a sample of both ways and see which you like better. The reason I say this is that at the LQS shop I use to teach/work at...we NEVER washed the Moda PDF's before doing any treatment. Now with saying that, it was usually a class that was done at the store and the customers were purchasing and then taking the class right then and there, not having the time to wash and dry and iron before hand. SO I really don't know if that make a difference or not. and personally having only done it this way I never thought about washing first.

I have done a ton of hot bath dying and never washed the fabrics before hand for that process either, And all of the colors came out beautifully and didn't fade with time or additional washings.

In the crayon classes we also did as Kimmie mentioned...using a wad of paper towels, or muslin top and bottom and then a nonsteaming iron to melt the crayon into the fabrics and letting the excess soak into the bottom stuff.

Let us know which way you did it, and what you think....

Kim - great idea about the freezer paper!! I did do that once when trying to write on a quilt label, that would help them out a bunch..... I don't want them getting frustrated with it!

I didn't even think of papertowels to absorb the extra - I was thinking it would bleed a bit at least.....

The chemical smell is why I always prewash my fabrics. Some of the Batiks can be REALLY bad!!! I just can't work with them otherwise.....:(:(

Thank-you Bonnie too!! I have some old sheets and muslin I will cover my ironing board with. I think I wash a chunk of it and try it both ways and see if it makes any difference.

PFD fabric is not treated with any chemicals or sizing. It is made to be used right off the bolt. It can be made wet (no detergent, soap, or agitation needed) and dried in the dryer if you are concerned about shrinkage.

What a great project that the kids wll love.:) Please share pics of the finished project.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

PFD fabric is not treated with any chemicals or sizing.

I think I knew this, but had totally forgotten it....now that make sense as to why they didn't do anything before class...and the lady who was teaching Linda McLaughlin http://www.lindamdesigns.com/ If you ever get a chance to buy fabrics or take a class for this wonderful lady...do it. Her work is fab.

PFD fabrics have no dyes or treatments. Don't wash it. You don't want any of the residue from the detergent in the fabric. I have had much better luck with kids using fabric dye markers than with crayons. They hold up well in the wash. I got mine from Dharma Trading.

Dharma

Ladies - Thanks for the web links and ALL the great info!!! There are only 4 more days left of school here and I want to get them busy with this - so they leave me alone - I need to get caught up on quilting!!!

Yes - I will post photos when they get done! I will also have to take some "during" to send up to Great Grandma. My girls are 8 and 12. Both have used my sewing machine and the older one does some cutting..... she wants to quilt her own quilt too - go figure! Yes - I think I will let her, just not if I am behind in my work......

Judi, this is exciting. I can't wait to see your finished project. My grandkids will be thrilled to do this.

I took bleached white muslin and let them go with crayola markers. I think they even used "washable" markers so their skin would not be dyed. I'm planning to make an apron with pockets for crayons. DD said not to bother with permanent coloring. She'll never wash it.:P

post--13461901906596_thumb.jpg

Judi it sounds like the girls have given you lots of advice on the pfd fabric. This is the one time I don't prewash! To make the crayon colors more intense try running a hot iron over the fabric and then coloring. The crayon softens just enough to get a really intense color. Paper towels are definitely the way to go!

If you want to really do a more permanent one with more intense colors you could use the Jacquard paints which are permanent and need to be heat set. These are available at Joanne's. It does not leave the fabric too stiff. another idea is to use blue gel glue to mark out sections to be colored. this actcs like wax in batick dyeing. then when washed goes away. You could then come back in with a black permanent marker to outline or any thing else or leave it. I have done the crayon ones with my 2nd grade class at school. We used permanent Sharpie markers to outline the drawings and then colored with crayons. The crayons are not that good and the colors are not as intense as you would like. for a home project I recommend getting the good quality fabric markers and spend a little more to make it good. This project will be treasured for generations and you want it to live on so spend the money. It's worth it.

All great advice! I was just at JoAnn's to purchase that new chalk re-fillable pencil - love it! I will look for the paints and see which way the girls will want to go. Thanks again for all of your help!!!! I just knew some of you would have already done this type of project and would know what to do - and the how to do-its - you are the best!! :D:D

wow this is an interesting thread. My grandkids are all so far away that I would not get to do this but maybe I will just send each Mommy some PFD squares and the coloring medium and have them make me blocks and then I could make each Mommy and me an apron or something. what fun. Can hardly wait to see the pictures

Archived