any advice for when you're blind as a bat?

Hey, O.K., so I am trying to cover this log cabin with fancy schmancy Kimmy Brunner feathers except I can't see the freaking thread on the backtracking. I have just spent 2 hours froggin out the light corners. That's all I have done so far. Please do not tell me to use a darker thread 'cause I tried that too. Too dark. I have never done feathers on busy fabric. Nor do I think I ever will again. Boo hoo me. I was so excited and now I just want to eat cheescake. (yes, the WHOLE cheescake) Any advice form you brilliant women? I think this quilt wants to eat all my confidence and spit it out.:mad::(

Tracey

P.S. I am usine so fine in the top and bottom.

Well first off that is one of the hardest things for me to learn, but honestly it was my trusty magnify glass that got me over that hump, and now I can do it pretty well without it. It helped because I could see EXACTLY where the line was and it didn't matter if it was black, red, white or blue threads...to backtrack for me I needed the glass to see better. AND I to am very blind...without my glasses I can't see the end of my nose, and when its as short as mine it....that's really really blind...:P

and, don't tell the quilt police, loosen up on the backtracking. I agree with Heidi it really does come good on it's own. The more you stress the more you miss though in my experience. So much so that when I start teaching people free motion quilting we work on very busy fabric with a matching thread. They quilt better when they can't see what they are doing!

Ferret

Tracey,

I am scared to death to turn off my SR too....but during MQS Claudia was very clear to me that there are a few times when you must turn it off!! :) So, I'm going to try it. Not on my hump-bump feathers :) but other places. I will work up to my feathers. At any rate, get some closeups of feathers done this way, and see if your feathers really look "that" bad. I bet they don't. This could be another case of - we are just to close to our work.

Haha, Tracey! You make me remember the class I took last year with Sue Patten! She was the first to suggest we go without the S/R and the whole class, including me, responded the same way you just did!!! But we did it and were ALL surprised with the results. Now, whenever I do small stippling I do it this way with way better results....and when I feel brave, I do my feathers this way...and surprise myself again with the results. Try it, you'll like it!!!

Archived