Singer MR needles

I recently ordered more needles from Kingsmen Quilting Supply and I ordered the Singer MR needles I always do.

I received instead the Groz-Beckert needles, with a letter stating that Groz-Beckert has bought out Singer and that they guarantee that the needles are the same as those that came in the yellow Singer package.

Has anybody else heard this? has anybody used the GB needles???

Should I return them?

Thanks to all who reply,

Martha in McKinney

I think I'd send them back. the GB needles are ever so slightly longer, and I believe that is was the Amazing Amy from service at APQS who told me that. I get my Singer needles from EE Schenk here in Portland, but I bet you could also order them directly from APQS.

Going to try posting a link to a comment made by John Mitchell a couple of days ago. What he said confirms what you were told by Kingsmen. When I ordered my Millie I also ordered one package of 5.0 needles and APQS sent the Groz-Beckert brand so I expect that is what they will be furnishing with machines and selling in the future. As an aside, I have purchased from John and he is great to do business with.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=16655

Hi Martha. I found the post that explains the situation and I will add it here so folks can read it.

Originally posted by John Mitchell

My currrent stock is in the yellow package, the same as APQS sends. Grotz Beckett has purchased Singer needles and the new needles in my next shipment will probably be in a new Green package with the Grotz Beckett name but will still be the same MR needles. Just a name and package change.

Hi everyone,

Just an update on needles for all of you. Watch for info (including photos) regarding GB needles and APQS machines in my next QuiltTalk article (which should be out tomorrow::).

Buying needles is like buying a car. You can say you bought a particular "brand" such as a Ford, but you know that under the Ford umbella there are several different models.

The same is true about GB needles. They did indeed buy out the Singer needle production line, and APQS is gradually going through our remaining packages of Singer MR needles (yellow packages) and converting to the GB needles.

Here's the IMPORTANT part:

The GB needles you will get from APQS are identical to our current needles, so you will look for specific code numbers on the package to ensure that a needle will work with your machine. These are DIFFERENT from the GB needles you may have purchased from other retailers in the past.

I'll go into greater detail in tomorrow's article that explains the differences, and will post a link to it here on the forum.

Check back then!

Yes, I have heard it.

Mark at APQS told us when we stopped by to tour the plant and meet the workers.. etc.

He asured us that though they will have the Gros Beckert name, they will be made to specks of the Singer Needles.

I sure was glad he mentioned it, as I'd have been in a panic had it snuck up on me.

Thanks for the reminder

RitaR

Archived