I Need New Leaders

I need new leaders. I've been putting it off long enough. I want to buy them---not make them. I've gone the do-it-yourself route before on another frame, and in the long run I didn't save a great deal of money after I had run to town, shopped the various fabric stores, purchased the fabric which probably wasn't totally the best and got it all cut, etc, etc.---you get the picture.:)

I just want to buy the best medium weight canvas duck leaders. I'm also still debating the "Leader Mates"---has anyone pursued installing these, and can you please give me a better idea of how they operate. The website pictures for the Leader Mates is not very informative. Wishing there was a video.

Miss Rosie needs new leaders--- When I bought this 1999 Ultimate II in 2007 (listed here on the forum for sale and a lucky find!) I took the orginal leaders off, squared them and hemmed them.. Put on new reference marks. But now they are getting frayed on the edges and feeling and looking limp once again. I'm sure they are stretching out of shape as I roll as well.

I would appreciate any ideas for where to purchase some new med. weight cotton duck leaders, and if anyone has replaced leaders in recent years your suggestions are appreciated. :)

---Also, anyone purchased or installed the "Leader Mates"? How to you like them? I know Linda C. has them, but I've lost contact with her. We started an email about them, and then lost touch....

Linda, any more info.? on the Leader Mates

Hi Angie. I believe Linda has been pretty busy lately as she just moved into a new house and is getting unpacked and getting things ready for her IQ in a couple of weeks. She also has a new email address and I don't know if she has updated her profile yet. You might try sending her a U2U.

If you are wanting to buy leaders, have you contacted APQS? Maybe they would sell you a new set of leaders. Personally, I wish the ones that come with the machine were a heavier weight fabric. I have'nt had a need to replace them, but if I ever do, I will go with something heavier.

Hi Debbie,

I've thought of the APQS leaders. But wanted more suggestions---if there are any better sources, I want to know. :D

I knew Linda was moving, and we emailed a few times last week via blackberry, but then lost contact. Maybe her interenet is not connected right now.:)

I have been pinning over the past years with flower head pins, so medium weight has worked well. If I go the Leader Mate route I could probably up the density of the fabric.

Thank you for your suggestion.:)

I personally went the APQS route when. I did my last set, but with that said I think I will more that likely do the JoAnn Fabrics route. They have a very nice heavy Duck Cloth or they also have a great mid to heavy canvas. Both of these are 45 to 60 in fabrics and on sale. Bonus you can choose a nifty color instead of the old regular bleached look.

Hi Angie,

Bayside has canvas leader fabric for sale by the inch (.20 per inch). It is 45" wide and has a woven stripe--like awning stripes--in 7 colors. They say on the site that the stripes parallel the rollers so pinning on straight is easy--just follow a stripe. I cannot vouch for how heavy it is. It looks like canvas in the photos.

Bonnie's tip about Joanns is great as well--then you can use a coupon or wait for a sale.

My back take-up leader was stretched, so since I float my tops, I swapped out the leader on the top roller for the stretched one.

I will need to replace both of mine before next year--let me know what you decide on and how well it works for you.

HI Holly,

You will need

Rolls of double stick tape and clear duct tape. How many rolls of tape is determined by the width of your leader fabric. A chalk line marker.

Clean your rollers very well with Windex first. Let them dry.

Determine the center of the roller, and the center of your leader fabrics . Mark with Sharpie.

I use only Scotch brand tapes for everything in this process. I start by finding the straight line on the metal roller. My husband helps me with that part . We snap a straight chalk line from one end of the metal roller to the other end. This is your reference line for your first step of attaching the leader fabric.

Then I use double stick Scotch brand tape and lay one edge of it along the chalk line. This double stick tape is what I will lay the fabric edge of the leader onto after I get it marked cut and measured. I determine the center of the roller and mark the center of the leader fabric.

The double stick tape is just sticky enough to hold the fabric in place while I go onto step two of securing the leader fabrics.

I buy several rolls of Scotch brand clear 2" inch duct tape. Ace Hardware, and most office or hardware supplies carry this. You will find it in the paint section at the hardware store. If they don't have 2", 1-3/4" will do.

Scotch makes the best tape products in my opinion as they don't deteriorate over time, or come loose--and yet are easier to remove when you need to that.

Start at one end of the cloth leader that is resting on the double stick tape on the roller and place half of the clear duct tape on the fabric edge, and half onto the metal part of the roller bar. Press and roll the tape as you go along.

I like to do double taping: Once you have the first roll of duct tape done, Then add another length of clear duct tape over the first one. ONLY this time place half of the clear duct tape on the exposed half of the first section of tape you use, and other half on the exposed metal roller.

Now you done! :) I also think the clear Scotch duct tape looks nicer too! :) Also---- Don't forget which way your leaders should roll! :)

Archived