Really large Lone Star

Hello,

this is my first really big quilt - king size I guess - for a customer. It was quite a challenge to handle the bulk an stiffness in the star due to the "QuiltSmart" it was pieced with, and I came across the thread about wavy borders after I had finished quilting. Now I know better for the next time.

Enjoy,

Marie-Christine

post--13461897817197_thumb.jpg

...everybody.

Cathy and Beth,

this is not my first customer quilt, but it is the first to be this large. The other ones were queen size or smaller, yesterday I had one only 15x15inches.

I think that you can achieve a lot within quite a short time (I got my machine in July2005) , with a lot of practice and quite a clear idea of what you like to do and what you don't. When you like what you're stitching and you feel comfortable, the quilting looks smooth, you gain confidence, "dare" more difficult styles, gain experience, and on it goes.

Thanks too to all the quilters who share their pictures, they are a most valuable source of inspiration.

Happy quilting, and have a nice week-end,

Marie-Christine

Marie-Christine,

I thought the quilt was beautiful, love the fabrics. But wow, the back...it is a show-stopper.

What batting did you use? It seems to have just the right amount of puff.

And the bobbin thread, what kind and color. From the photo, it looks like

it contrasts with the fabric. Maybe that just adds to the wow-factor.

Just one more ...did you use stencils, pencils, chalk or free-hand the outside of the star?

It truly is striking. If this was your first customer, you just made a

reputation for yourself. They'll be beating down you door to get your

quilting.

Linda,

thank you for your nice words.

The quilting is free-hand, and needed no marking. Sometimes I use chalk to mark areas or points for orientation, but mostly the piecing is guideline enough.

The batting is a french one similar to polydown, lightweight and puffy, and the thread is polyester trilobal, Isacord/Polysheen, rusty-brown, same top and bottom, and it does contrast with the fabric, because the customer wanted the quilting to show clearly.

Archived