Quilt from baby receiving blankets

Hi from very hot East Bay of San Francisco!!

I've had an inquiry about making a twin size quilt for the mom from all the baby's receiving blankets. She wants me to cut about a 6.5" square from each one and sew it together. (She must have a TON of blankets!!!) I told her with that as the top, batting, and backing that it might be rather heavy.

What do you all suggest? I told her I'd have to think about this a little more and I'd get back to her. I'd also have to meet with her before I accepted the job.

Should I run???

Thanks

Hi Stephanie, I don't think I'd run. If she wants blankets front and back, just leave out the batting or use inexpensive flannel. to avoid huge humps of seams, set the back blocks off by 1/2 a block, so they hit other places than the font ones do. In other words it would look like half blocks, a 1/4 a square in the corners and around the quilt back.

Should be rather pretty..

You do good stuff.. lol, wink,

Rita

Most baby receiving blankets are fairly thin in my opinion. I don't think that this will be a heavy quilt. I would put a lightweight batting in it and quilt with an allover pattern. Maybe use 6 1/2" squares for the top and larger pieces for the back. I would use a 3/8 - 1/2" seam too as it is flannel.

Should be a neat quilt when you are done.

What a great idea! I would make sure the fabric content of the blankies is compatible--you will probably have poly in a lot of the blankies or a brushed poly that feels like flannel. If everything is washed and shrunk beforehand, it should turn out very cute. This is a great re-purposing project that some might want to offer to augment their business.:)

Please show us the finished project!

My daughter just asked me the same question and I was thinking of using a turning twenty pattern to kind of spread out the differant flanel baby blankets and use a very thin batting with cotton on the back... a special way to hang on to those baby blankets and for my granddaughter to keep as she loved those blankies!

Vicki

I think it is a great idea, and I can't think of an issues using cotton receiving blankets.

I just had a thought...if you have an embroidery machine, maybe the mother would like the kids name's, or relevant info embroidered on some of the squares. Sorry, I'm probably running way ahead of myself. :)

I'd love to see a picture when you're finished (that is, if you accept this job).

I actually did make a quilt from cotton flannel receiving blankets many years ago. I used about 7" squares, because that went evenly into a lot of the different sizes I had. Used a poly batt (gasp) it was what was readily available then. It was great, washed a million more times, soft, and really nice when someone needed a comfort. The back was light weight cotton/poly blend, again a sign of the times....I looked at it at times, and remembered the first time things as a new mother, ... nice keepsake. :) Pat

What about making a shaggy quilt. Make the squares about 7 or 8 inches, stitch them together with the wrong sides together, back with flannelette or polofleece, and quilt a motif in alternate squares and just a straight line from corner to corner in the other squares. When finished, cut the sewn seams every half inch down to the stitching line.

Hope that makes sense.

Marley

Archived