How to disguise my faults

I am working on a whole cloth quilt with tiny tiny stitches all over in YLI clear. I needed to use a brown heaver thread on the center medalion to give it some more definition. When the bobbin would run out I would get the brown showing on the back. How can I mask those brown threads on the back? I was thinking of (when I take it off the frame) hand stitching beige threads over the browns. What would you do?

When the bobbin is empty and the top thread shows on the backing...just pull out several stitches and give yourself a tail of the bobbin and top thread to tie and bury as Shana mentioned. Give a little tug on the top thread to get the bobbin thread to come to the top and pick out about 2 inches or more so you have something to work with. More confused? I hope not.

As I am THE expert on disguising my many faults...!!:P...

I might consider painting the whole of the back if it really annoyed me. I have used Lumiere, Stewart Gill with a little brush and others have used acrylics and even emulsion on a very dry roller.

I have also been known to add crystals or rhinestuds on pokies on the back - just imagine - maybe that's why huge, famous quilters put so much sparkle on!!

Linzi, you've got something there. I just made a Bachelor Button block and wondered why anyone would put a yoyo in the center. NOW I know---to hide that hideous seam in the center.!

Sylvia, is the back important enough to "fix"? I don't usually put a lot of time into fixing a back since no one usually looks at it when the quilt is lying on a bed. If it's for show, then follow the experts' advice. A few pokies are expected and no one is immune to them.

Good luck. Picture perhaps?

Dear All, my quilt is approx. 50X50 and I made it to put in a show. The entire thing is made up of tiny stitches using clean on top and white on bobbin. There is stitching around the center large leaves and such that are done with brown on top and white on bobbin – to give definition to those areas. I plan to color portions of the front and leave the rest white. The problem arose when I rolled the quilt and noticed that every time I ran out of bobbin it created a loop of brown on the underside. Not realizing it was there, I merrily continued quilting with the clear around it sealing it down for all eternity. Now, I don’t know for sure, but I think a judge would just push it aside as not worthy after seeing these on the back – no matter what the front looked like. So I though perhaps I could cover them up somehow. So far I have about 40 hours in the quilting so I hate to start over.:(:(:(

Sylvia--

How about making it a two-sided quilt?

Get out the colored pencils and do a subtle color-job on the back.

Make sure you really color over the lines you are trying to disguise.

Those are main features anyway so it won't look out of place if the back has the same lines accented.

I recommend colored pencils, but you can use pigma pens, ink, or paint as well.

I am thinking of Patty Jo's pretty wallhanging from last fall--I think she used colored pencils.

Have fun and post a full shot of the quilt when you finish--good luck at the show!:cool:

Archived