Finally..I think!

On Pins and Needles

I think I am actually ready to quilt on my new Millennium! You all helped me with the orientation of the machine, the room has been revised twice since then so I have room on all sides and I think now the room is perfect. I had a practice quilt on the machine and have been trying for 3 weeks or more to get the wheels adjusted...

I don't think they are right yet, but I've watched the cd over and over, printed off all the advice from the forums and I still can't make a smooth curve....my husband has suggested that the problems may be with the machine operater...can you imagine...so I am just going to start practicing.

I keep seeing pictures of different long arm machines where the wheels are on the machine instead of the carriage...seems like this might be a better design but I know this has to work eventually.

My first quilt on the machine will be Thomas the train for grandson...I figure he won't know if it's perfect or not, but on the in-law side of his family is a cousin who won grand champion in a local quilt contest....I'm hoping she never gets close to my Thomas!

Cindy

Cindy - I got my Millenium in March and fiddled with the wheels so much that I ruined the bolt (thanks to Amy for sending me a new one). However, after a few weeks with lots of practise, my curves became smoother as my forearm muscles became stronger and my brain and muscles worked together. It does have a lot to do with the operator, so keep practising and enjoy the process. I used sheets from the thrift store and cheap batting so I wouldn't break the bank - and as a result, my dog has plenty of quilts to snuggle under. She doesn't care what it looks like, but I think she appreciates that it was quilted by me. :D

Oh, and by the way, my stronger arms helped my golf game! I have been winning the occasional 'longest drive' on ladies night out! None of the ladies understand when I credit it to quilting...

Caroline

That is too funny, I never would have thought about quilting strengthening your arms for golf. It has been so long since I have played any golf that I doubt I could get off the tee anymore. Ever since taking up quilting I dont find the time to play golf or much else. When I have free time I want to be quilting so it is a choice I have to make. PRe quilting I used to play 3 or 4 times a week, but the heat gets to me more now and I am happier in my air conditioned quilt studio. Dont be surprised if you do more quilting and less golfing after awhile too.

Jeanne - you should try to get out once in a while if possible. I know what you mean though - quilting is all consuming! I only go once a week - and force myself to go or I'd be quilting instead. I'm glad to have this forum and meet everyone and get a sense that I'm not the only crazed quilter hiding in the basement on a beautiful day!

Archived