thread conditioner

Some time back I read that Sharon Schambers dips her entire cone of thread into conditioner. Does anyone know what kind of conditioner, and where it is available? Is it something I could maybe pick up at my local hardware store? I'm having problems right now with a cone of cotton. Changed the needle. Hope that helps. The thread has quite a coarse look to it, so I think overkill on the conditioning might help too. Thanks, everyone. This forum is so helpful and encouraging! Laura

Hi Laura,

I agree with Heidi...I don't think there is a need to soak your entire cone of thread...I'm afraid of getting too much of that on the tension control and other areas that could "gunk" things up. :)

There is also a silicone spray which I love to use on quilts that have problems with breaking thread.. So far, its taken care of all the problems.. Very minimal odors, so my head and lungs don't object, goes a long way, and you can't see or feel it on the quilt: I still have sewers aid and if I know a thread is a problem I treat it with that. I don't treat any thread in the bobbin.. don't know why, just don't. Good Luck.

RitaR

Wouldn't soaking the whole cone of thread in mineral oil leave an oily mess on your quilt? It seems to me that the oil in the thread would soak into the fabric of the quilt and attract dirt. The directions on Sewer's Aid say to use it sparingly as I recall.

Sharon uses mineral oil (yes, its a LOT less expensive than Sewer's Aid). I just paint it onto my cone of thread with a small paintbrush but Sharon soaks the whole cone for a few hours, then lets it drain thoroughly (like overnight). She claims there are absolutely no issues with the machine or the fabric and, you know, she used the same technique on couture bridal gowns. Nancy in Tucson

In the class that I took from Sharon the oil she used is silicone oil, it's what they use in the garment industry, and her daughter sells it on her website, Purple Daisies. Sharon had it in her booth on that occasion and the bottle stated it was silicone. Silicone will evaporate and does not stain. It's not just any silicone, either, it's very specific. I'm sure if you email them they can give you a source if they don't carry it any more. Mineral oil however will stain. Don't ask me how I know. I just know it would not come out of the black jeans I was wearing and I had to throw out a gorgeous pair of Rocky Mountains. It did make my boots look pretty tho! Not using mineral oil on my machine or fabric, sorry.

Okay I'll tell my little secret, Silicone is used a LOT in the cosmetic industry. One name for it is dimethicone. (don't know if I spelled that right.) I tried using my daughters hair detangler on my thread and it worked fine. Evaporates won't leave a mess, it is scented ( fruity usually ) but that evaporates quickly.

A whole lot less than thread lube and I can buy it anywhere whenever I need it.

Michele

I have posted this before, but it is worth repeating. My mom worked in a garment factory for about 35 years or so. They kept a bucket of silicone next to each sewing machine where the seamstress could dip the cone of thread into the bucket when they where having thread breakage problems. I'm sure since Sharon worked in an industry much like that...only not a sweat factory...they learned much the same practices. I would not soak my entire spool in it, because I don't think we need to get that drastic, however, I do like Shana and run about 3 - 4 lines of Sewers Aid down the cone, all around the cone. Sewers Aid is about $3, you can use your 40% off coupon if needed.....and it has lasted me about 2 years and I am not even half way through the bottle.

I like the idea of the lines on the cone, and if it's bad enough, the soaked batting in the thread guide above the cone. It's supposed to cut down on friction which causes static which messes up tension and causes bird nests on the back, also

Heidi, the baskets makes sense. I have some fifties era mugs with wooden handles that I use the mineral oil on, as well as butcher block cutting boards! And the wooden handles of my chefs knives. It's wonderful on woods that are exposed to moisture as in the kitchen! A friend has an antique butcher block. It's the real deal, the whole table with the edges worn dorn from carving meats on it. It is huge and weighs a ton. She uses mineral oil on it to keep the wood conditioned.

Archived