Entering Quilt Shows

Okay...I'm not saying I am....but if you were to enter a quilt show, would you make sure the backing fabric was all the same, or could you put two different fabrics on the back as long as they "went" with the fabrics on the top??

Is this an elementry question I should already know? :o

I was going to call Linda Card....but it is 8:45 am at her house...I don't think she would like me if I did that ;)

It's good to see you up and about and thinking about quilting!

I have no experience entering a quilt show, but I'm fixin' to. (:D Learned that expression when I lived in Texas.) Our guild is having their show the end of October so I am going to enter one or two quilts, depending on what I get accomplished. I don't expect to win anything but I know people are coming to see quilts, and I'll get feedback.

Regarding the backing, if I were to enter a quilt in a show and don't have enough fabric for the back I would piece the back to be pretty - not necessarily another quilt top, but a pleasing arrangement of additional fabrics that complimented the top. I would try to arrange it so the sleeve matched the backing also. That's the voice of inexperience and I anxiously await responses from others who have entered quilts in shows.

Oh boy do we...they say they are not the police...but do one thing wrong on a quilt and you might as well be under arrest ;):D

I always make sure the back is the same...but my stepson's quilt is 116" + 8" for clamps...I need 124" and the fabric I have ordered is 108", I thought I got a great deal and realized I didn't order enough. I ordred 3 1/2 yards but thought I was ordering 7 yards..then I realized they sell in 1/2 yards - how stupid is that....they know we always buy in 1 yard increments if we need it of not!! :D

Mary Beth,

I've seen them both ways. I personally like all one piece and I tend to use solid colors because I want my stitching to show but you know if you want to hide it you must use a busy fabric. I don't personally think that hides it from the judges though...trust me they can pick out anything if they want too! You could always make it a double sided quilt like Renae Haddidin does!

Originally posted by hmerrill

Mary Beth,

You could always make it a double sided quilt like Renae Haddidin does!

Aren't you suppose to be workin gin the garden? ;)

I can't talk about Renae...last time I did that she was reading the forum and I was busted for saying I walked of one of her classes because she was talking math and it was way over my head :D:P

I will say this....no matter how hard I try I will never be able to quilt like Renae Haddidin does :)

All the show quilts I've ever submitted, about 15!!!, were one fabric on the back. Some were pieced, but still the same fabric. I've never had a comment on the backing. As far as the hanging sleeve, I've done some matching the backing fabric, and mostly just plain muslin. They wouldn't judge the sleeve, would they?

I agree that if you use more than one fabric, do so intentionally. If you are entering to win a ribbon, do the best you can to make it look intentional, planned, well-thought out and coordinating producing a very harmonious outcome. If you are entering to exhibit your beautifully executed quilting and piecing, ix-nay on the ribbon, then who cares what the backing looks like.

My 2.5 cents.

Mary Beth, I am certainly not a seasoned quilter nor had hardly any experience entering quilt shows. But remember my Glacier quilt (fire and ice category) well, I had two fabrics on the back. They were the same exact fabric design from the same designer (aurora) but they were in two different colorways (one had a black sky background, the other had a deep dark blue sky background). It looked really cool (IMHO). The sleeve does not have to match but I think it looks nicer and more presentable if you have a sleeve that goes with the back. When I was in the judging room 2 years ago, I remember an absolutely stunning quilt that had a sleeve on the back that was haphazardly whipstiched with bright green thread. It looked hideous but the judges did not bat an eye at that and I think that quilt even one a ribbon with the whipstiched sleeve looking like this.

Honestly I have to say that when it comes to entering quilt shows, there are no rules. You do what you please, let creativity take over, have fun, go for it. The judges like to see all sorts of "different" things that get their attention.

So with that said, I will say no more! :)

Well, I went back and purchased another 3 1/2 yards of fabric and will use 18" for the back and then make a sleeve with some of it...then the rest goes into the scrap basket...or room...wow, for someone who doesn't seem to get to make quilts, I sure have a lot of scraps ;)

So far, I've entered 3 times... Once back in the 80's at the Indiana State Fair... no ribbon,

once at Farm Park, Kirtland, OH - no ribbon and lastly at the UQG show - red ribbon. All 3 quilts had plain backings.

Here's how I look at the shows... I close my eyes, hold my breath, and hand over my quilt. I have no expectations, just that I like what I did and it's a great way to show others that I'm proud of what I created.

I think your work is totally quilt show worthy! You go girl! But don't forget to show us too!

I got out my Karen McT book, Quilting for Show, and the only comment I can find concerning backing is this:

Q: Should I use a busy print for a backing?

A: Yes, Yes, Yes. Using a busy print for your backing fabric will help you hide imperfections, stops and starts and tension issues in the quilting.

There is a discussion about Getting Started and here are some details she looks for when considering if a quilt is eligible for competition:

Does the quilt hang straight?

Are the applique stitches invisible?

Is the piecing precise and well constructed?

Does the quilt have a good first impression or strong visual impact?

Is this an original design or a commercial quilt kit purchased at a quilt shop?

I won't quote the whole book, but NONE of the pictures show the back. Nuff said. Good Luck MB! When do we get to see?

Originally posted by Bobbi47

OH, and I KNOW I'm no Renae H, or Heidi, or Karen McT, I just have fun and love what I do. I say that with allllllll the respect and admiration in the world. I keep trying to stretch my self, but achieving perfection is God's work...

Hey, you have the right attitude. Just have fun. Put the quilt in the show with no expectations except that it's a quilt show for all of us to come see and enjoy. there are so many absolutely amazing quilts and only a handful of ribbons. Don't enter a show for the ribbon part. Enter the show for the fun of it. :) It's just a quilt show. Ribbon or not, remember that it is a quilt and that quilt does not define you. ;) I love to see all of the quilts and all of them are beautiful. Not enough ribbons are made for all the amazing quilts in this world...

I remember the judges saying at MQS that the quilts were so beautiful they really REALLY had a very hard time deciding which ones got the ribbons. It's like choosing which one was more gorgeous (and they were all gorgeus) Is that awesome or what?

Listening to comments made by judges over the years, one thing strikes me. They like the idea that the quilter "intended for a reason" choices made. Whether for color choices, border designs, or the back, they wanted to see a choice made for reasons of making the quilt "work". Haphazard, unplanned, "make do" in the general quilt world (obviously not all art, performance types!) many times comes off as "not caring to do her best" to judges.

On this forum there is a consistent thread of striving for excellence, whether for your own quilts, quilts done for customers, or in this case, quilts submitted to shows. When you think hard about the best thing to do, you have already passed the first and hardest test of quilting, the idea that you do your best with the vision you have for a quilt.

I'm quite sure you are all harder on your own choices than many judges would be:D:D

Happy quilting, Pat

A comment on the haphazardly stitched sleeve--if it is a bed quilt which normally would not have a sleeve, it is allowable to attach a sleeve with easy removal in mind--hence the big green stitches. Sometimes quilts are accepted with the sleeve safety-pinned on--again, easy removal. BUT, if you are sending the quilt to a national show, make the sleeve look like it belongs there. After all, you may win an award and need to sent it on to the next big show!!:D

I saw a beautiful quilt at a show with a sleeve made with flying geese blocks left over from the front--it was inspired and really said the quilter had thought it all through--like Pat said above.

I have entered quite a few quilts in our local guild every other year and never had any comments about pieced backings. Some have been pieced and some not. Never any points deducted for pieced. last year I entered my first show away from home at the Vermont Quilt festival. It had a pieced back that had about 5 or six different fabrics. I used up leftover fabrics from the top, it was all coordinating fabrics with a jungle theme. I did not get a ribbon, but was only about 3 points off from getting one. they average 3 judges points. 2 judges gave much better marks than the 3rd. I had at the last minute whip stitched a label on and did a sloppy job as it was not going to stay on anyway, and there was a comment from the 3rd judge about putting the label on more neatly. Guess I wont do that again.

It's an interesting question, Mary Beth. My answer would be...depends on who is judging the show and how formal the process is. Will the show be judged by certified NQA judges? Will the show organizers provide a form to the judges with criteria by which the quilts should be judged? If it's a local show, you might be able to get a copy of the form so that you know what aspects of the quilt will be evaluated.

I have entered my quilts into our local show (a big one) and now for the second year, my quilts have been accepted into the Houston show. I have watched the judging process at our show for 5 years and have read the judges comments carefully from those quilts and from the ones that went to Houston last year. The emphasis seems to be more on workmanship than design...is the patchwork precise? Is the applique firmly applied? Is the quilt square? Is the binding filled? Does the quilting enhance the design? Is it well executed with even tension and hidden starts & stops?

I've seen judges mention that they appreciated the 'back art' but have never seen a quilt marked down for a pieced back. And sleeves DO matter...some shows now are even requiring a 'competition' sleeve or a D sleeve...it's one where 1/2 inch of ease is built in. There are great instructions in Robbi Joy Eklow's first book & probably several others.

What is most important is that you do your best work on a show quilt. When there are choices to be made, as Karen McT says, choose the harder thing. You'll likely be rewarded for those careful miters, that piping on the binding or the extra dense quilting. It's exciting to see your quilt hanging in a show so just enjoy that part, don't allow the judges comments to make you mad and, if you come home with a ribbon, it's grand.

Best to you, Nancy in Tucson

Archived