Are Machine Tune-Ups (e.g. a visit to the Spa) a Good Idea?

I've had my machine for a couple of years now and so far all is well and I have not had any troubles with it mechanically. However, is there a recommendation to send the head in to APSQ factory, say every 5 - 10 years, to give it a good going over and tune up? Or, should just general maintenance do the trick?

nemo was gone for three weeks, but i'm in GA.

one week/5 business days to get there (UPS. i think it was around $90 to ship it there. had to go to the UPS store, but it was delivered back to my house, and yes i was sitting on the porch waiting)

a week at the spa. (i dreamed that it was like the tin man from OZ, when they first made it to the emerald city: buff buff here, buff buff there, buff buff everywhere- anywhoo)

and one week return trip...i had a tracking number that i checked frequently...my luck he would of gotten the scenic tour of the U.S.

the cost was worth it...it wasn't that much. my truck cost more per year to maintain than nemo....and everyone at the factory liked his face.

nemo is a 2005 Millie that was purchased used. i know the previous owner and it was USED! and i had him a year (and i used him), then off to IA.

sylvia- expensive how? i paid for all the parts they changed out. it wasn't too bad...

according tot he sheet they sent back- i got a new motor (so that was a big expense), new needle bar, computer board upgrade, bushing upgrade, rocker with block repair (?), new optical sensor, new pulley, return shipping, plus all the little tweaks that he needed, and 1 hour labor (that all would of taken me a month to do)

when my machine went to the 'spa' i was lucky enough to be living close enough to drive it there... went to lunch and tootled around for a few hours... picked it up and took it home the same day... ran like brand new... this last time was a DIY... not as 'effortless' as just sending it out... i think i still have a few tweaks to work out, but it runs like new... can't beat that feeling... you know... similar to that 'new car smell'...

I sent have sent both of my machines in for a "spa" treatment. It was worth every penny plus for me! They upgraded the circuit boards, reset the timing (I always have trouble), greased, replaced worn bushings (with new ones that aren't suppose to need replacing), new hook assembly and everything else that it needed. Yes, it did cost, but our machines are suppose to last a long time like a car and they do if properly cared for. Amy and Christi know what to look for far better than me. I will send my machine(s) in again in a few years.

I may be late for posting this...I'm out of town right now so I miss stuff!

I had mine done during MQS...I highly, highly, highly recommend it....and I hate spending money on stuff when I don't think you need to. Let's just say, I'm glad I did when I did. I didn't realize there was a problem with my machine, $500 later, she sings like a brand new machine!! I would do it all over again if I needed to.

Sending your machine back to the factory is always a good idea after about 5 years. Now the yearage could vary on the use of your machine. If you use your machine a lot than the 5 year period is a good send back, but if use it less, then you'll be able to wait a little longer to send it back. It will also depend on how you bought your machine: new, used just a little, used a lot, demo model, floor model, show demo or from a friend. One way to know if the machine is ready to send back is to check if your needle bar bushing are worn. This is done by taking hold of the needle bar when the needle is in the down position and seeing if there is any play in the bushings. You don't need to do this hard or anything else. You'll be able to notice this off the bat, because you'll be able to feel the play. If no play, then keep it another 6 months then check the play again. Regards, zeke........

Archived