Best Compliment Ever!

There are a few people around here with computer systems. One lady is so nice, that I have no problem with sending her a customer that seems very fussy about wanting something "perfect". She has sent people my way too, especially when they want quilting that goes around certain places or things, like applique.

Matter of fact I just bought her CL Baptist Fan templates - yeah me!! Love to use those big things.... anyday over a panto.....

I don't know who the lady is with the computer, just that she lives in another town down the "hill." Apparently, she promises a 5-day turn-around...something I would NEVER promise. I think she just hasn't really learned how to use her computer system. She did a green leaf motif on a white background border (too much contrast, IMO) and she left large white spaces where the design didn't fill the border, nor did it touch the connecting border.

A computer can be such an asset if you take the time to learn to use it. Look at Darlene's work, or Linda's or any number of other ladies on this list. Its a terrific tool when used efficiently...not so great otherwise.

Dory, that's fantastic! At least she took notice of your beautiful work! That's a great compliment and I'm sure she'll become one of your best customers.

I belong to a group of quilter's and had begun to quilt some of their quilts. Another member who has been with the group a longer than me recently purchased a longarm. She took some lessons from me and is now doing quilts from the group. She's doing them for "free" because she's "practicing."

I can't compete with free. However, a couple told me they're just giving her "donation" quilts and the "good ones" are going to come to me because they don't want someone to "practice" on them. I know some of the women can't justify spending the money, and I'm glad their quilts are getting done, anyway. I give them a good discount and always give them more than they're paying for just because of the group, but I can't do them for free.

• 4 weeks later...

Dory, you sew, girl. Best approach is to never, never downgrade another quilter which you did not. I had a customer that was taking her quilts to someone who would do a quilt, any size, for $45. She brought in that quilt. From all appearances it looked fine until you got up close and her back tension must have been off, because when you ran you hand across the back all you could feel what knots. So I asked the customer was she happy w/her quilts. Yes! "Than you probably got you money's worth." End of discussion. I now do all her quilts and she is "tight" w/her money. I keep it to a minimun w/panographs but I am now doing a custom w/her. So, see, you never know. In November I am doing a program in our Guild on Hiring a Longarm Quilting and what to look for.

Archived