Thread holder for small spools of thread

I recently got the attachment for the millenium that allows you to use small spools of thread on the machine. I am unsure where to attach it and also not sure if the machine will still be threaded the same way. Also does this cause tension issues? I need to quilt a quilt with Mono Poly and have only been able to find it on the small spools. Thanks so much for all your input. Janet

Janet,

Here's a thread that talks about that very topic: http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=16757&page=1#pid187148

I had to check it out before I mounted my own Spool Holder.:P I used a number of different threads on it, including Monopoly, and found that if you bring the thread right down to the three-hole guide, that seems to work the best. You might have to adjust how you go through the guide, depending on the thread you're using - I went straight through the guide, without looping around, for the Monopoly, and it worked like a charm!

Let us know how it works for you,

Kristina;

When you use the monolon thread what do you use in your bobbin? and do you have to loosen your top tension alot to keep it from stretching? And do you change your bobbin tension from your normal settings? Just curious have been thinking of trying this thread for a while now but would like to know the basics before I venture into it.

Thanks!

I have used monolon just a couple of times. I really had to loosen the bobbin tension. I also have to play with the top. I keep it threaded the same as my sewfine, but have to loosen it as well. The times that I used it, I used it for both top and bobbin. Shana I think has used it quite a bit. I used her suggestions for the mono. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your suggestiions, ladies, I knew I could count on you. Good to know there is a place to get the large cones on mono! I have been afraid to try it, but am about to jump in with both feet and use it on a customer quilt (at her request). Wish me luck!

Janet

Monopoly is a Superior product and it is used with great results on most longarms. Monolon is a Madiera product and about half the thickness of Monopoly. I am a huge booster of Monolon thread.

To adjust the top tension for Monolon, thread through two holes in the three-hole above the tensioner (up in the first and down in the last). After threading all the way, pull the Monolon through the eye of the needle towards the back of the machine. When you let go of the thread, if the part that went through the needle has a twist or looks like it is trying to curve, loosen the top tension. Try again. Continue pulling, stopping, and loosening until the Monolon stays mostly straight after it is pulled. Your tension disks probably aren't even touching, but that is where this thread is happy. I use BottomLine in the bobbin--also set loose (15 or 150 on the Towa gauge).

Do a stitch sample to see if you like how it all looks.

Good luck and happy stitching!

Archived