Please help identify this traditional block. What is it?

Chris brought her grandmother's quilt top to our guild meeting and none of us knew the pattern. I told her that perhaps someone on the APQS Chat would know.

It's a circular block with six curved spokes from a center circle. Twelve triangles for the outer ring and the pink elongated diamonds fit the circle blocks together. Does anyone know this pattern?

Thanks for your help.

Vicki

According to the Brackman encyclopedia, it is a wheel spiral design, #3389 and the name given in the block is "Feathered Star - OCS/Wheeler". There are several similar blocks differing by the number of spokes and triangles that go around the circumference. Their names are Wagon Wheel, Rising Sun, Fly Wheel, Circle Saw, Wheel of Life and Oklahoma Star. These blocks have 6 or 7 spokes from the center circle and either 12 or 24 triangles around the circumference. A slightly different block called Wheel of Fortune has even more triangles around the circumference that alternate pairs of colors, i.e. 2 black triangles, 2 white triangles, 2 black, 2 white etc.

Hope this helps!

Pam

Oh - that IS pretty!!! Thanks for the info. and ideas here people - I am going to click this baby into my favorites..... would be a fun one to make I think!!!

Vicki - are you going to be getting the honor of quilting this beauty???? Would love to see a photo of what you do to it if you are!

Thank you Pam. For a junior member with only 2 posts, you sure know your blocks. I'll pass along this information to my friend Chris so she knows the names for her Grandmother's quilt. A local friend said it was the Feathered Star but I didn't believe her because the Feathered Star that I know actually looked like a star and has a bazillion pieces to it. Guess you need the reference on the end or those other names.

Hi Judi - I wanted to quilt this and was going to volunteer to do it for free just for fun, amusement, and experience but she is an excellent hand quilter and wants to do it herself, keeping the purity of the time period. I'm sure that means it will take about two years to get it done. She also has a Dresden Plate quilt from her too and that is set with a yellow background, quite lovely and very well pieced.

Vicki

Oh nice!!! I wish I could get the hang of hand quilting..... I guess I just need to try it again and stick with it a bit more than I do.....

I love to do handwork, even it it takes me forever, have to have some kind of project to take along on appointments and such. English paper piecing is great for that!

What a couple of very nice treasures she has - lucky gal!

Hi Vicki,

I don't understand the feathered star description - all I can think of is that there are triangles surrounding the circle. That would be similar conceptually to the more familiar feathered star that has small triangles surrounding a larger triangular patch.

While a junior member here, I am an experienced quilter and quilt teacher who has recently been inspired by a friend of mine, Lou Schafer, who co-owns JanniLou Creations, a quilt shop in Philomath, Oregon. She really knows her traditional blocks ... and lots of contemporary ones too! All I did was look it up in the encyclopedia and was eager to do so because I love that block!

Kind regards,

Pam

Archived