Overhead lighting and Bat holder

Hi All,

I am trying to inprove my lighting so I can quilt at night. I have a great room with very tall ceiling (15ft) and 2 walls of windows. Great daylight but it is a real problem at night. I just took classes in NH and Linda Taylor had a cool set up on her machine. Polls on the side and a bar across the top with lights. Also want to mount my rolls of Bat under my table. Are there any kits or pattern to purchase to do this?

Thanks

Pat

I have an Ultimate 2 and the system from Cranberry won't fit it. I bet some of you with clever husbands have made one and could give some suggestions. I bet it would be a lot more inexpensive than 455 plus shipping. Thanks so much Cheryll

Cheryll,

I needed better overhead lighting, but did NOT want that bar system. I just knew everytime I went into the room I would be bumping into the bar on the side. I also felt it would make the machine "feel" even bigger in the space. My solution was to go to Home Depot and get track lighting. My ceilings are about 9 feet high so I wanted pendant lighting. The type I got has long cords that you can cut to the length you need so they would accomodate your higher ceiling. The cost was about $100.00. It could have been cheaper, but I wanted pretty lights. :D They were easy to install and no electrical wiring was needed. They have a switch and plug right in like any lamp.

Hope this helps with your dilemma.

post--13461897863534_thumb.jpg

Pat,

I too have a ULT II, I haven't needed a overheard light, so far the ones I have are fine, but I did have hubby make a bat holder for me that hangs in from....he made two (one for each end) J hooks and I have a long closet pole that I put the hook part (of hook and loop tape) down the center and the bat sticks to it so I can wrap it tight and it rests just in front of the #1 and #2 poles. The long pole is just a tad shorter than the frame poles and it rest very nicely there out of my way, I can still reach up under the machine and when I go to advance I just rest the pole back into the J hooks and the bat advances with the rest...rewrap once done and replace on top for the next row.

Hpe this helps some

My overhead lighting was not working for nighttime quilting either so I purchased an Illuminator Light from Donita Reeve for $85. It plugs into the back of my Millennium and works great. The neck is flexible so you can direct the light to where you need it most. It was an inexpensive alternative to my lighting problem and it works so well that I use it all the time now.

Check it out at:

http://www.LoveToQuilt.com

Happy Quilting,

Hey Leslie,

Home Depot (and Lowes) are right up there at the top of my favorites too! :P Those lights are not adjustable once installed, you cut the wire to the length you need.

The quilt hanger is just a piece of pine or whatever type of wood you want with clothes pins hot glued to it. Mine are actually scrap pieces of trim from a closet I tore apart, so it was REALLY cheap!

Patty

Below is a link to some pretty quilt clips that could be used in a similar fashion to what Patty has done in her quilt studio. I have attached the link for Lee Valley Tools. Just incase the link does not work ... try www.leevalley.com and type in spring clips in the "item search" area.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44833&cat=1,43326,51918

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32159&cat=1,43326,51918

I saw these in a quilt shop about a month ago and they look so nice. ;)

Originally posted by White Rooster

I purchased an Illuminator Light from Donita Reeve for $85. It plugs into the back of my Millennium and works great. The neck is flexible so you can direct the light to where you need it most.

Jean, where does it plug in at the back of your Millie. Is it where I have my laser pointer connected? I need additional lighting and this looks like it would work for me.

Yes, I plugged it in to where the laser light is plugged. When I use the laser light I am at the back of the machine and I don't need my Illuminator Light. The light does have a long cord so you could also wrap it around the Millennium cord and then plug it in to whatever outlet you use for the machine.

Karen, those are great clips. I have been buying curtain rods that have the clip rings and then clip my quilts to those. It take 5-6 clip rings to hold a good size quilt. I have several around my house and in my studio and it is very easy to change out my quilts quickly. I also have one set up that I use to show my customers their quilts when they come to pick them up. It really shows off their work and mine too.

Happy Quilting.

WOW, Thanks for all the responces on lighting. I love the track lighting with pendant drops . I guess I am heading to one of my favorite stores to Home Depot. Thanks so much for the ideas.

Now how are you all storing your rolls of batting?

thanks

Hugs

Pat

My husband mounted closet hangers close to the ceiling far enough apart so that I could hang the batting unfolded on two cardboard tubes from JoAnn's. I picked up the extra cardboard tubes from JoAnn's when they had their 50% off batting sale -- tape two together and roll, my Warm N White or Warm N Natural onto the tubes -- works well for me. We picked up closet poles from Home Depot just slightly longer than the width of two tubes and I've slipped one into the tubes holding my batting. Put em up on the wall -- well out of the way (hang them up so that the batting rolls away from me towards the wall) and pull down only what you need. I have a window sill that I use as a "measure" for when I cut. I just walk along and snip, snip, snip..... The batting stays clean (so my puppy doesn't nap on it) and keeps the floor clear.

1. Makes a nice shade when you don't want so much sun.

2. Makes a nice temporary design wall when you need an extra one.

3. Allows me to open up my batting and straighten it from the bolt.

Most folks don't even realize it's up there unless I point them out. I have Warm and White, Warm and Natural, Warm and Dark (? it's black, okay? I forget what it's called), some Pellon, fusible interfacing, stitch n tear. Okay, so I have a few. So sue me.

And, Home Depot is my second most favorite place to shop.

I bought the batting stand from The Warm Co. for $8. It is a small square of wood on wheels with a piece of dowel coming up out of the middle. You just slip your batt roll over the dowel and it keeps your batting standing up straight. And, it can be wheeled around if you want to move it. I just unroll the amount of batting that I need and cut it off. Works fine.

If you are good with tools you could easily make it.

I too want something under the table for the batting I am using on the quilt. Every time I try to roll the quilt I have to remember to take the batting out of the way so it doesn't get caught as I fold it up and kind of tuck it up under the backing bar. I thought a piece of pvc might work but it only comes in 10 foot lengths. May have to get two pieces and glue them together and suspend them somehow under the table. I do not want the batting on the floor, it gets messy down there. I have the overhead wiring and could use a light or two but at present do not quilt at night as the machine is in our other house next door, there is a picture window and it gives plenty of light. The Bat holder sounds like a good idea. I have it on a picnic table in the sunroom. I roll out what I need and cut it there. Keep getting all these good ideas from all of you, thanks so much.

Archived