MQX WEST - Portland 2011

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

Yes, MQX West will be run by the same two excellent show gals - Mary Schilke and Janet-Lee Santeusanio, so you can bet there will be an excellent web site, class catalogue, sign up, and info all available. For those of you who live outside of the Portland area, there is a light rail (MAX) from Portland International Airport to the Convention Center and Downtown. It currently costs about $2.30, so the commute in will be fast and inexpensive. Some of the hotels will even reimburse you for the fare. This is going to be so great! I'm looking forward to it immensely.

Linda

Thanks Linda,

I will keep an eye out on the MQX site. We met at the NW Quilt Expo, I was at the APQS booth.... is MQX West going to be held in the same venue as this past NWQE show? I thought the NWQE was held at the "Expo" center. or is that also known as the Portland Convention Center? I am not familiar with Portland and want to make sure I reserve a hotel room near the correct venue....Am I excited??? Yes I am!!

I don't know why there are two threads on the same topic, but it sure sounds like a great opportunity. Aren't we lucky to live near Portland? It's a wonder it wasn't planned in Seattle or Tacoma. . .or Eugene. . .Must be the airport thing. I hate driving in Portland and I think parking is impossible. If you come from out of town, you're lucky to be able to use the light-rail and not have to bother with parking. However, if you want to tour Fabric Depot and EE Schenck, you'll need more than the light-rail. I hope maybe someone will provide a shuttle to those places??? Maybe some hotels will have parking for rental cars, and someone told me you can park at the Lloyd Center parking lots that are free. Don't know if that's illegal or not. See, I do not even attempt to park in Portland so I don't know all the rules.

Anyway. . .sounds like a lot of fun and many opportunities to feed our habit of quilting. Thanks to those who are in the know and are organizing the event!!!

Hi Beth,

OMGosh!! I will be driving down...Fabric Depot, EE Schenck, yikes!! I am starting a 2011 MQX fund right now. Thanks Beth for the convention center info, I just googled it and see that it is a different place than the expo center. I may have to take you up on that spare bedroom if Dory doesn't first!!

Boni,

You take a chance when you park at the Lloyd Center, in thier lots. Yes they are free but for those going into the mall. The trick is to walk in the mall and walk back out a different entrance. What is better is to go up a fews stops and park in one of the neighborhoods which are free. However if you have a handicapped placard you can park for free for as long as you like in spaces marked one hour (or more) within the city limits.

My daughter was towed and it was spendy to get her car back

Melora

Out of curiosity, how close does the light rail go to Fabric Depot? I know it's on Burnside, but FD is on Stark&122. That's quite a ways to have to carry a lot of purchases. And EESCO is on Swan Island, miles from the light rail. I went to Innovations when Aptex was still in Seattle. They provided a shuttle back and forth between Aptex and the convention center in Tacoma. That was fun. Maybe EESCO will do the same. What about Fabric Depot???

Thanks Melora for the info. I haven't been to Lloyd Center for years.

Boni,

The number 6 bus goes straight up. According to tri-met it takes 6 min to walk to and from locations (3 min each way) and 10 min bus ride. It lets you off basically in their parking lot from the convention center. You get a transfer and if it has not expired you can use it to get back. Cost of trip that way is under three dollars (if your transfer expires you pay again)

Light rail is about a mile away. It would be ok going but not lugging pkgs back

Melora

Guest Linda S

Yes, Nadia! I remember meeting you. Boni - I made two threads because I was afraid that the folks who mostly visit the anything goes thread wouldn't see this one in the shows thread.

The NW Quilt Expo was at the Exposition Center out by the race track. MQX West will be at the actual Portland Convention Center, downtown, on the east side of the river that is, and is very accessible by the Max Light Rail. Fabric Depot is out by the Airport, but I imagine that, as with Expo, they will have a big booth at the show.

Portland is famous for its wonderful public transportation, so I think you can get to a whole lotta places for next to nothing. The trolley that runs through downtown is free and takes you to all sorts of shopping, the museum, etc.

Linda

Guest Linda S

Schenck (EESCO) had a big shuttle bus running from Spring Quilt Market when it was at the Convention Center in Portland last spring (Spring 2008). I'll bet they would want to have a bus available for trips to their warehouse from MQX. I'll mention it to Janet-Lee, but she has probably already thought of it!

Linda

Guest Linda S

I've let Janet-Lee know that you're interested. I'm not sure how this will turn out, as she needs to take into consideration the vendors at the show. I remember that the vendors on the east coast were not all that happy with the bus that went to Keepsake Quilting one year. All I can say is, as much as I enjoy attending these shows, I am so very glad I am not the one who has to organize them. What a tremendous amount of work and what a fine line to walk to make everyone happy. Knowing Janet-Lee though, I'm sure she has it all figured out already.

Linda

It's amazing to me, and I'm going to be watching this, how they can organize a show like this from the east coast. I sure hope they have contacts who can help with geo-graphics, logistics, and demo-graphics, if you know what I mean. My hats off to them. An event like this takes a lot of volunteers too. Do we hear the call??? free admission, prizes, drawings, free stuff, for volunteering??

Archived