thread cutter question - THANK YOU BARB & AMY

Ok - so my thread cutter quit working about 6 or so months ago. I've been bringing my thread up to the top - And that is just fine, but I was just thinking that I would like to figure out what is going on with it. And get it cutting again. I've looked in my manuel and I can't find anything regarding an adjustment or replacement. Any help is appreciated. :o

Hi Pat--Does anything happen when you try to use it? If the cutter blades have pinched together and the knife mechanism can't fit between, that's an easy fix. (This happens if you clean the cutter and forget to replace the washers when you reattach the plastic cover. The plastic compresses the blades and the knife can't fit between.)

If nothing happens at all when you try to use it, I guess Amy is the one to ask.

Not much help--sorry!:cool:

Barb & Linda - when I hit the "cut" button, it does move so it isn't stuck, just not sharp enough or ??? to cut the thread. I have cleaned it before, but it was working for awhile. I think that when we moved into this house, there was just so much going on that it could have gotten tweaked or something. My tension issues started after the move also. I know that it has been over 2 years ago, but I wasn't doing much quilting there for awhile, so I'm just now trying to figure things out. With doing more quilts, I would like to get it all running as smooth as it was before the move into this place. If I can't get it cutting, I'll call Amy unless there is some quick fix that you are aware of.

So, is the thread puller arm going between the two blades when you activate the thread cutter? Or is it riding up over the top blade?

If the arm is pulling the thread between the blades but the thread isn't being cut, you might have some lint build-up between those blades - get out your compressor and blow from the "screw" side of the blades - should get rid of any lint in there.

If there's no lint, or if the arm isn't going between the blades, then your blades need adjusting. There's a section in the Maintenance Manual about adjusting the blades, but I don't find anything in the Millie manuals themselves.

Give Amy or Christie a call - if they can't get back to you, send me an e-mail and I'll scan the pages out of the Maintenance Manual for you - or better yet, I'll be in Salem in December - maybe I can come by and see what's up. Let me look at my schedule and I'll let you know.

Patty Jo,

My thread cutter jammed one day and I could not get it to work again either. I went through everything and talked with support on the phone - nothing. Then when I had Amy do an overhaul she fixed it...I think it had to do with the little red lights on top...the bar thingy. She fixed it, then...don't tell Amy....I disconnected everything and removed the thread cutter ;)

Barb - Well, I've taken the covers off of both the thread cutter and the needle plate. Blown with compressed air, got some lint out, "flossed" with thread between the blades and there wasn't anything in there (did this after I blew it out) and the thread cutter still doesn't work. I'm thinking that you might need a cuppa my coffee when you are down here in December! I'm sending you an e-mail. :cool:

And MaryBeth - I'll be sure and not tell Amy any of this! :)

And Joan, I don't think that my blades are worn down, they sure don't look it, but I suppose that is always a possiblity. But when "flossing" with thread, they still cut it off with a bit of pressure.

One thing that I did notice is that when the cutting arm slides between the blades only about 1/8" actually goes between the blades at the corner nearest the front of the machine. Is this right???

• 2 weeks later...

OK, because I was out of town for a few days and away from my Millie, I was just able to look back into the thread cutter problem.

Barb, because you mentioned your maintenance manuel, somewhere over Kansas as I was flying to the east coast, I realized that having taken Amy's class at Innovations last year, I also probably had one!!! I know brilliant aren't I???

And Amy because I did take your class, you handed out a great manuel that really helped me.

My thread cutter somehow had gotten out of alignment and wasn't passing thru the blades evenly and by playing with the arm underneath, I got it straightened out and I'm now cutting threads again. This could also have been from my move over 2 years ago as I had a friend helping me put my machine back together and he may have grabbed it or??? and got it out of alignment.

Anyway - all is good now. :cool: YIPPEY SKIPPY !!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived