Little problem with King Tut...........

I love the look of King Tut and have many cones, but I seem to be haivng the same problem every time. Every tiem I hesitate or stop, I get a single "pokie" on the back. Tension is otherwise perfect so I can tighten or loosen the top. I tried tightening both top and bottom and then the top thread breaks. So if I have it "just right" and am doing a panto with a point somewhere and I hesitatie to check the stitching I get this single pokie at that point.

I am using a 4.0 needle and either bottom line or so fine in the bobbin. I will NOT use TUT in the bobbin as the bobbin doesn't hold enough. I tried it once anyway to see if it helped and it does not. Same thing.:mad:

Any ideas??? If not I may be selling about 15 cones of TUT.

Hi Caron!

I have great success with using "sewers aid" it is made by Dritz found at most quilt/fabric shops.

If you apply liberally directly onto the cone of thread I think you be very pleased with the results. It tames & lubricates the thread.

Try it & let me know what you think!;)

I always have this problem with King Tut thread in points. I do use it top and bottom. I have almost decided not to use it anymore because of this problem. I have talked to Bob at Superior as well as to Mark at APQS. The advice I was given was to tighten the tension. I have a quilt coming up where this thread was requested. We'll see what happens!

Cathy in NC

I tried it once before. Got tension problems on the loop of a panto. Ended up picking out 3 rows and threw it in a drawer. I'm lucky I don't have 15 spools:D. Perhaps I will try it with some Sewers Aid, because I sure do like the look of it. I should mention I was using Bottom line in the bobbin. I was wondering if it was too thin for the thicker top thread.

I was using YLI variegated machine quilting thread today, which is very similar to King Tut (40 wt., 3 ply 100 % cotton). I tried the Sewer's Aid and was very impressed; without it I had knots and breaks, then I put it on and things were much better! Also had to play around with the tension. Love my TOWA gauge that I bought at MQX. I am amazed at how inconsistent my bobbin tension is from bobbin to bobbin. With the gauge, I can make sure each bobbin has identical tension in the case.

Cathy in NC

No, the gauge is not a winder. To use the gauge, you place a wound bobbin in your bobbin case. Then you insert the case into the gauge and click it in place, just like putting it into the machine. You pull the thread tail under and over a series of two pulley-like disks and draw out some thread. This action causes an indicator on the gauge to read a number. You want that number to be the same for every bobbin.

To find your machine's preferred number for the bobbin tension, do some stitching. When the tension is perfect, put this bobbin case and bobbin in the gauge and check the reading. Most Millenniums use a reading of 22-25 on the TOWA gauge from what I have heard from others.

This may be a little difficult to understand until you do it. I waited a long time to invest in the gauge, but now that I have it I wish I had bought it sooner. It takes the guess work out of tension, and saves a lot of time fiddling around to get it right.

Bonnie:

You are an evil woman. LOL Thanks for the link to the Columbia River quilting website. I just spent an un-Godly amount of money there on the gauge and pentagraph patterns. They are so organized. I like that. No problems finding what I wanted.... darn.....

Okay, now I have to get back to practice my "free flowing movement" -- be one with the machine.......

Tusistas.....:P So glad I could help....don't ya just hate it when someone leads you down the path and you don't even realize you tripped until you get your credit card bill. :D

Its okay you can call me Evil....My granddaughter called me an "Evil Granma" the other day when I did something to her also.:cool:

You all are so funny! I love reading these posts! Bonnie you "seam" like a

gem to me!

Back to the original post -

Caron - I have also been told to put the cone up-side-down and work the

thread off that way. I have much better luck doing this, and LOVE the

sewer's aid goop as well - it works magic! Still, I find that I have a problem

remembering to load my cone this way. I personally just perfer not to use

King Tut, but do like the colors, just not enough for the hassel I guess.

I hope things did get better for you!

Archived