TABLE HEIGHT...COMFORT

My Milli. is being set up as I write this, & I have a question about table hieght.............

I'm 5'8" & I was wondering how high you La'rs have your tables, & what's comfortable for you ?

I do plan to get a hydraulic lift a.s.a.p. but I need to pay off my Milli first, I was thinking about building a platform with wheels to put under the table to bring it up higher, but I don't know how much higher to go.

How much higher do the table leg ajustments go, will they go up like 6" or more??

If there are any LA'rs out there that are my hieght, I could use your input.

I have read the "search" info but no one has given a measurement of what height is good for them, I just need a # to start with

thanks

Hi Gerry,

You machine can be adjust up 9 inches higher on the legs. So you will have no problem getting it to the height you like. It is very easy to adjust.

The hydraulic is nice when you decide to get one, but until then you can set it to a comfortable height for you.

Myrna

Okay, don't laugh...when I first set my machine up we didn't know that the legs adjusted. I am 5'11" tall, and I had read that if you stand at the end of the table, your arms should be at a 90 degree angle to the cross bar on the machine...if that is wrong someone please tell me....because now I know that the legs can go up and down....but in the beginning we had two 2x4 blocks stacked on top of each other to get the machine high enough for me to be comfortable. Don't tell my DH I said any of this;)

Mary: I read your old thread on this subject, & I have to say that I had thought of the same thing.

Myrna: I had know idea that the legs would go up that high,

I looked at those big industrial wheels, they are $25.00 ea. thats $100.00 plus the 4x4, if I plan on buying the hydraulic lift, then it would be a waste of $$ .

How high sould I go ??

Gerry,

Usually, arms at 90% it what they say. I have mine a little higher than that. I would try just raising the legs first to get it set where you want it. I personally would not put casters on and then put it on a 4x4. That would be unsafe I should think. Try raising the legs and let me know how it works out.

MaryBeth, This a great place to air our .....humm.....learning curves. We are all friends here;)

Myrna

Well I raised the table up 6 inches, :D WOW what a differance, she fills up the whole room. The height will be perfect for doing panno's standing up, but I'll need to lower it again when I move around to work from the front. I can see how the hydraulic lift would come in handy. Do most of you gals use a chair when doing panno's ??

I must get some of those sliders today, & see if that will help me able to move that big gal around a bit, as my quilting space is quite tight, I must move some of my fabric bins to other parts of the room.

Gerry,

I ordered the hydraulic lift for my machine just a few months ago. (From Myrna). I was in an accident some time ago and my neck and shoulders bothered me a great deal after less than 30 minutes on Millie. With the machine lower, my head was always tilted forward causing pain. I took a class from Kathy Sandbach (short arm quilter) and she suggested that when you are at your sewing machine to drop your chair down as far as possible so that your work is almost (but not quite) high chest to chin level and your elbows are up. I tried it and it worked. My DH said order it! So I ran to the phone and called Myrna. Boy!!!! Am I glad I did. I quilted for 6 hours last Sunday (with a few breaks) and didn't even feel a little bit sore. I really have it up high and I'm only 5'6". It has made a significant difference in my work to. I seem to have more control as well. I suggest giving it a try with your sewing machine first to see what your shoulders and neck think. You will need to do some sewing for several hours and maybe over time to know for sure. That's how I knew. And, I don't do well sitting down at Millie.

So as you can see, I highly recommend the hydraulic lift.

Happy quilting everyone!

Hi

I am in the same position as Gayle. I have my frame set very high. I have found it stops me stressing my neck and shoulders. I think the lift system would be a great investment as it will allow you to reset the height for front and back work. In the meantime try and figure out which on you will do most of and get the machine really comfortable for that.

At the monment I can't quickly adjust mine so it is set for front of machine wotk and I take lots of breaks if I use a panto.

Ferret

Would anyone mind posting a picture standing at their machine to show us the correct height? I really could use a visual. I'm thinking I should raise mine because I'm alway crooking my neck out like a goose so that I can see and I don't think this is right.

Much appreciated.

I thought that the front roller was called a 'belly bar' for a

reason. My machine was originally much lower. I am 5 ft 11

inches. When my DH raised it, not only could I quilt better

but I could actually see more of the quilt. Looking down, the

machine used to get in my way. It is much more comfortable to use now.

• 3 weeks later...

My two cents worth---

I took a maintenance class for APQS machines at Innovations two years ago---from Sally Terry (of Terry Twist fame) She recommended that the top of the take-up roller should hit you at the bottom of your rib cage. ( My problem was finding my ribs!!!!) We adjusted the legs--quite a ways up I might add, and it works great for me. This is, of course, for front-of-the-machine work. Hope this helps.

Linda Rech

Olympia

Ahhh! To be so tall! (sigh)

I'm just under 5'. My table is as low as it can go, but I still have problems reaching the back part of the quilt. I crank my saddle stool a little higher and climb up onto it. Then I wind up bending over too much and either have a pain between my shoulders or in my neck.

I won't even discuss how I feel about things stacked up on the top shelf of the grocery store!:mad:

Phyllis Hughes, aka Shorty

Oklahoma City

www.myheartlandquilts.com

My Millenium was just set up last Thursday and I've tried various heights-I do have the hydraulic lift, thankfully. I'm still looking for the perfect height also. I will try the rib cage height next.

I bought some 4" circle sliders without sticky tape-really do work and I can move the machine over the carpet to reposition it.

Sue Tennill

McKinney, TX

Hi Phyllis,

I too am only 5' tall (or short).. I had my table at the lowest setting since I got it over 5 yrs ago, but when I started doing a lot of pantos I had a lot of neck and back pain so I raised it one notch. Wow what a difference, but now it's to high for front custom work, guess I'll be getting the hydraulic lift in the near future instead of going to Hawaii!!:;)

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old subject, but still needs pictures. I'm afraid to raise the table to high and then feel like I have wings (elbows sticking out), but I want to see what I'm quilting also. I do a lot of freemotioning and would like to know what most of you have table height set at.

Pictures would be helpful but need to see some PLEASE!

If you don't want to post them please e-mail them to me. I promise I will destroy them as soon as understand table height.

Thanks,

Sheryl

www.shedznbedz.com

Hey! I finally found my ribs and yup, that's about where my "belly bar" is. My DH raised Jennie to that height a couple of weeks ago and boy, did that ever make a difference! Before that, quilting was a real pain in the neck......literally!:P:P I do kinda have to stand on tip-toes to quilt the area at the back:mad: but I'm trying to teach myself to work closer to the front of the machine. This old dawg doesn't learn new tricks too easily.

Phyllis,

"Belly bar" is the roller for the backing, correct! If that is the case than my table is really low. It hits me just right at the hips but when holding the handles for freemotioning my elbows are at a 90 degree angle which is comfortable unless I need to do ruler work.

Opinions please.

Thanks,

Sheryl

www.shedznbedz.com

I think, what it all boils down to is, whatever you are comfortable and pain-free with is right for you. I used Jennie for almost two years at a lower height and was really having neck and shoulder problems. Even with the higher table I'm still having some irritations but I think that it is something that I will have to live with. I do put on my Electronic Muscle Stimulator and that helps a whole lot. Love that thing!;)

Archived