Rainbows breaking every two minutes

Is there a different thread path I should use to keep this from happening? I am happy with the stitches on both top and bottom. I don't know what to do. Rainbows on top and Bottom line on bottom.

Also, how do you keep from shredding your thread when you are removing the stitches in order to knot and bury. I feel I have to knot and bury with these two threads being more slippery. I am lousy at it and it takes soooooo stinkin long.

Jessica

I have to really loosen the tension when I use Rainbows. See if this helps.

I always knot/bury my threads...and this combination hasn't given me any problems that I can think of. I usually use it when doing custom work however...so I stop at the end of the deisgn...bring up my bobbin thread...and then knot/bury. No unstitching threads for me. :)

With Rainbows I use the first and third hole in the 3-hole tensioner over the tension disk. I use the front, added on cone holders, because I am always changing colors and it is easier. That may also change my tension, compared to having the cone on the back. I use a #4.0 needle. I use So-Fine in my bobbin.

Hi Jessica, Kristina is right; you really need to loosen both top and bottom. I use Bottom Line 90 % of the time for my bobbin and use it with Rainbows on top. For bobbin, set the tension so it slides easily, smoothly, but does not fall super fast, but falls gently smoothly with a slight tension to it. Know what I mean? Do this over the quilt top so you don't drop your bobbin case on the floor. For the top, you can either run it through all three tension holes or just two; but always the last bottom holes and loosen your disc accordingly. I like to loosen it a lot and then using a scrap sandwich, I slowly adjust my top until I see a slight peek of the bobbin thread in the hole the needle makes. Then give it a 1/4 loosening on top and it should be good.

Go slow and steady with Rainbows. As you get your control down you can speed up. :)

Oh and for frogging, I use a dental pick, dental hook to slowly pull up the top threads until I can start pulling the bottom threads. Then I just pull the bobbin threads while tugging up on the top thread. This helps keep the top thread from running through as you pull and keeps it from fraying.

• 1 month later...

Jessica, did you ever get your thread breakage problem fixed? It's been a real problem with me ever since I got my Milli 3 years ago. I thought I had the problem fixec todya. I was able to finish a lap top with maybe 20 breaks but tonight I loaded another top and now the thread is breaking every stitch, or two. I've done every thing I could think of..played with top and bottom tension, changed needles twice, used Sewers Aid, cleaned and oiled the machine, tried 6 different threads...they all broke. Now I've got a spool of white King Tut and was able to sew about a foot with no breakage. Only problem is this quilt is blue and calls for blue thread, but every single blue I've got breaks after a coupel stitches.

This is no fun and now I know why I don't do it for a living....altho I have 9 tops here right now and 3 were spose to be delivered tomorrow and only one got done. I'm soooo frustrated!

Rita

Rita,

If you're having this problem with many different types of thread, then the problem might be with the machine: maybe a burr in the throat plate or on the hook? Have you looked for something like that? Especially if you've had the problem from the beginning, it's probably not a thread issue at all.

Archived