any design ideas?

This is a quilt I have put together with blocks from a dozen different ladies for a friend going through a hard time. Do you have any ideas on quilting designs for it? The fine white around each block will be quilting stitched over the red sashing.

According to my son, I need another design besides feathers! I showed a picture of a table runner that I feathered and he asked when I was going to do a different design. So have fun!

Thanks. I don't have a better picture right now. All the blocks are stars.

post--13461903049259_thumb.jpg

I agree with something curved, like McT, or simple meandering in the outer white areas. Something with movement. But I think the center would look great with cross hatching of any kind, or a curved basketweave (if you have that stencil).

Then, I see alot of opportunities for feathers of all sizes, kinds in the red areas. Or, treat each block with different quilting designs in those red areas.

Behind the center star, the white background space is so huge I would break up that space a bit and do some quilting motifs and a pretty background fill. Same with the big red center star. This quilt you can really rock out and PPP in those "not so busy" fabrics and let your quilting shine. :) Can't wait to see your lovely work.

Madelyn--did a little playing on your quilt top for you--I think that since this is a "feel better" quilt I would go with a heart type feather--which is what I put in some of the sashing--but then also thought of a swirly type heart that I drew in the blue area.

For the stars I would do some line dancing using that swirly heart as a jumping off point for what to put in them.

The big heart--could you find a verse or poem that you feel appropriate for your friend and then write/quilt the words in there?? I drew some radiating lines off the big star--that could be used as spines for more heart type feathers.

Hope this gives you a few things to get your inspirations started. What a special gift this will be!!!

Terri

post--1346190305317_thumb.jpg

Thank you Terry, that does give me starters. I layered and pinned it tonight and have blue painter's tape in the white squares in the center, those line will be an inch apart. I may use your swirly hearts in the side whites. I also do a pretty good job with Sally Terry's alternating half hearts, so those could go in the 2 inches around the white that makes the star float.

Here is the label that is going on the back. All the blocks around the sides were sent by friends, so the label shows who made which side star block by the position that their signature 4.5 inch square is around the center one that I made. I will need to put the label on after the quilting so the handwriting will still be able to be read. This has some new experiences for me, but I like how it is turning out.

post--13461903053416_thumb.jpg

Archived