new rulers...L-cheapo!

I love a good bargin....thrift shops, garage sales.. you name it! So I thought I'd pass this on.....

I needed a new 2.5" ruler and just can't bring myself to spend $10+ on one. So I called my local lumber yard and they have all kinds of scrap pieces of plexi glass and they cut me one for free!!

Kinda pathetic on how excited I am about a new ruler. But this new ruler is gonna help me create my very first queen size quilt! Just a log cabin pattern but I just can't wait!! And of course i'll post pix. when I get it started!

Anyway....just thought I'd share! :)

Just a few things....

1. Please don't say "Just a log cabin".

I have been working on a log cabin quilt for 2 1/2 years for my son's wedding....that was 2 years ago.

2. Do you know Dawn Cavanaugh?

That girl can take a rubberband and a piece of a wooden stick and creating some great tool to hold her spools of threads on her machine vertically so she didn't pay the big bucks for thread holders :P

Keep bringing on great ideas...we love 'em....just don't call a log cabin quilt....just a quilt :D

Sorry Mary Beth, didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess I don't have my confidence built up yet...I see all these beautiful, very elaborate quilts you gals make and mine seem so simple. BUT THAT WILL CHANGE!! This Log Cabin is the first quilt I'll be attempting that isn't a four-patch.

Another tip I have is for my DSM I use an oatmeal container to hold my large spools of thread since my DSM won't handle the large spools. Unfortunatley this is after I already wasted $5 on a cheap plastic stand that didn't even work well!! Darn thing was so flimsy!

Guest Linda S

Good for you - nothing wrong with being thrifty. I have a laser level that I use to square-up quilts when I block them. Got it at the hardware store (on the recommendation of Renae Haddadin) for about $25. As she said, if it were made specifically for quilting, it would have cost $400!!

Linda

Archived