Wing needles help

HELP>>>>

My sister used to crochet around flannel (2 layers) and to assist her with the holes, to save her fingers, she used to use a wing needle in her dsm. I want to do it now and can't for the life of me remember how she did this. Did any of you use this method, and would you be willing to share what you do? I would be forever in your debt;)

You can use a hemstitcher too to pierce holes.

Or, you can use a wing needle unthreaded and started stitching around the edge of the quilt probably 1/4" or so from the edge. You would need to lengthen the stitch length to a desired length or the holes will be right on top of themselves. The wing needle does make a larger hole that would allow her to be able to use embroidery floss or similar weight thread for the crochet work.

Make sense?

This is an heirloom technique. You can use a longer straight stitch but it works better to have some of the newer stitches that will give you a nice consistent stitch. The endredeux stitch is the perfect one for this. You can find the wing needles at Martha Pullens site. I'd recommend the 120. Here is the link. http://store.marthapullen.com/?page=shop/browse&offset=20&category_id=12&keyword=&

Once you have that part stitched then you just do your crocheting using the holes as your base.

Hmm, I will have to go and find out what size my wing needles are because mine never seem to leave much of a hole on their own. I was wondering if lengthening the stitch and tightening the tension would produce a reasonable hole for putting the crochet through. I'll be interested to hear how your experiments turn out.

Ferret

Joann that is pretty cool for fleece. I don't know that it would be so good for cottons or flannel though. I would think the threads would fray.

Monika try using a stabilizer underneath. I like one that is water soluable so that it washes out when I'm done wit hit. you an also buy some of the liquid stabilizer. If you can't find the liquid kind just dissolve the watersoluable in a little water and make your own! Sometimes all it takes is to be starched stiff.

I have done dozens of these over the years.

I serge the two pieces together curving the corners and cover the serged edge with crochet. I haven't had any trouble poking the crochet hook through two layers of flannel, but pre-poking some holes would really save your hands. I think any large needle would work.

For single layer blankies, I turn under a quarter inch twice, stitch along the edge--either straight or zigzag--and then crochet over the entire edge.

If you would like me to send some crochet edge patterns, shoot me an email and I am happy to share.:)

(I wouldn't recommend the rotary cutter skip blade thingie--as Heidi said, it will cut the fabric and may cause fraying. Plus you have no way to adjust the distance between your stitches which you need to if you have a curved corner.)

Archived