Help Please

Oh No!! I finished piecing a huge sampler quilt and hubby put it on the Millie. He use Hobbs 80/20 and some kind of poly batting (he used 2 layers total). He used SID around each block and around the borders. He was then going to go back and use the quiltazoid in the alternating plain blocks and do some stencil work. He has burgandy so fine on top and white bottom line on bottom. He is using a 4.0 needle and says he is pretty sure bobbin tension id good. He made the huge mistake of not checking the back of the quilt occasionally to see how it looked. Every once in a while he said his top thread shredded. The white backing has LOTS of burgandy globs! The whole thing has to be picked out and started over. What does he need to check for before he starts again? HELP!

Cheri,

Stitching with two different color threads is tricky but have a light background makes it even worse! You have to make sure your tension is spot on. My guess is his top tension is too loose. Tell him to tighten it up and then do a test sandwich to make sure he gets good tension in all directions. At least he is using 2 battings which will help. I hope the frog dance goes quickly!

I would say if he has room to the side of his quilt he needs to stitch there with a piece of scrap fabric to make sure his tension is right. Like Heidi said, using 2 colors of thread can be tricky. I also agree that he needs to tighten his top tension. I know this is frustrating, hang in there.

With such a thick quilt sandwich, he needs to quilt more slowly and evenly to give the needle a chance to recover from needle flex. I would also suggest using So Fine in the bobbin as well as the top. I know Bottom Line is great, but I think with using the same thread top and bottom, the 'tug of war' tension is more even. The main thing, though, would be to spend time getting the tension right before starting, as Heidi and Mary Beth said, and then double-checking periodically.

Thanks everyone. We didnt rip it out today...too frustrated. We will get it taken out, put so fine in the bobbin and tighten the tension. We will also see about raising the hopping foot a tad. I don't think we have to take it all out. It looks like it was making beautiful stitches in the first 9 or 10 blocks then all of a sudden BURGANDY BIRDS NESTS!

when using different threads top and bottom you have to check under often. just a lesson i've learned. 2 batts are the way to go in this case, makes it much easier to avoid those thread pokies. If it were one batt I'd be increasing top tension just so I can see the bottom thread on top a tiny bit, then back off 1/2 turn. Might want to try that even though you have 2 batts. I often use a neutral thread on the back of a custom job and have not had any issues provided that top tension is just a tad tighter than I normally run it. And, with two colors I always slow down as noted above - to account for needle flex....

Good Luck.

Archived