This is where it all began....

The "hopefully" attached picture is my very first full sized quilt that I made that I quilted on a LA. I had taken a 5 hour class at my LQS for hands-on lessons on learning how to load a quilt on a LA, plus some practice on free hand and following a panto. I liked the freehand method better than trying to follow the panto so I decided once I had pieced this quilt, that I was going to rent time on the LA (HQ 16) and machine quilt it. This was in April of 2008. If the picture loads, you will see that it is definitely a beginner quilt, but when I think about it, it's amazing that it took me about 6 1/2 hours on a Saturday to quilt the whole thing, but I didn't have any thread tension issues. Broke my thread a couple times, probably going too fast, but otherwise no real issues. It was such a great feeling after I put the binding on and put it on our bed that I was hooked for life!! I didn't want to have to wrestle with a quilt on my DSM again.null4319714286

100_1324

100_1322

I hope this worked. I have them on my Flicker page because I'm afraid to try Webshots.....

Ha, isn't that the truth! I still shake my head when I think of how naive I was when I did this first one! I'm surprised that it turned out as good as it did. And it worked out to my benefit that my LQS decided to discontinue renting out a LA so then I was stuck with no where to turn to be able to quilt my quilts myself.............so I started doing my research........after many months of looking and trying them and checking stuff out, my DH said "just go do it!" So I did! I only had room for a 10 ft. table, but that's ok because it will handle what I need it to. My Lenni arrived the end of June last summer and I've been having a ball ever since then! And I've learned so much....................

The next couple of pictures are of the first quilt that I quilted with Lenni. I had my machine for two weeks and my DH had been watching me PPP every day and he encouraged me to get my quilt top out of the closet and loaded on my machine. I had a top made from the 2008 Minnesota Shop Hop fabric that I just loved so I took a deep breath and "just did it". He convinced me to take it to our county fair the following week and I was shocked to learn the I got 1st place in my class with it! And the judge had written several complimentary things about my quilting. So I then decided that I was going to make my grandchildren each a quilt for Christmas........and I did! I'll post those pictures another day.

100_1328

100_1327

100_1326

Kay, thank you. It's funny but it's because of my "addiction" to machine embroidery that I got interested in quilting! I have only been quilting for about 3 1/2 years. I just sort of slid into it by accident. I decided that I wanted to make a set of embroidered, pieced and quilted place mats and table runners for Thanksgiving. (I needed 14 placemats and 3 tablerunners. ) So I signed up for a beginners quilting class to learn how to "do it right" and there has been no turning back since then! I will post pictures of my grandkids Xmas quilts later (maybe tonight) and you'll notice one of those has machine embroidery and applique on it too. And I am just finishing a BOM that is machine embroidery and applique and I will post before and after pictures of that too.

Yep, my DH says that I am addicted but I tell him that I'm just very passionate about my sewing. :D But maybe he's right because if I go for more than a day or two without sewing, I need to just sit down and sew something...............

Marilyn - great quilts!!! Thanks for sharing the photos with us - you are doing really a wonderful job with your quilting - keep those photos coming!

one table runner / placemat idea that a fellow quilter brought to our guild meeting a few months back was to take and cut up those wonderful hand-embordiery flour sack towels, what you use to dry dishes with, and she pieced them into placemats with 30's print fabrics. I think she might have even done some crazy-quilt like stitching on them.... can't remember...... but they looked REALLY good!!

I did just pick-up a few at the Thrift store the other day, but I want to wash them first. A really cute set, but the white towels are different degrees of white.... know what I mean? I think I will try some Oxy-clean stuff on them...... think that will work??

Hi Judi,

I live in Preston, which is 35 miles south of Rochester. I'm about 2 hours away from Mankato.

THat's a cute idea about the embroidered dish towels. Oxyclean might get them closer to the same white color. It's sure worth a try.

I've made lots of embroidered placemats, both for myself and for gifts. They are so much fun and turn out so cute! But now that I have gotten so hooked on quilting, it's a constant tug of war within myself as to whether I'm going to embroider or quilt. :D:D

Thanks for the nice welcome! :)

Archived