need ideas please

Got a new customer who wants feather circles in the plain blocks and feathers or cables in the black border. She says she wants to keep the quilting light, not dense.

I'm nervous about attempting feather circles, so I might pass her on to a more experienced quilter. But, since you all have such great ideas, I thought I'd bounce it here first. Maybe I'll change my mind:-))

Thank you!

Hi Annie,

Some wise words from Kimmy Brunner in her beginner's DVD, she said if you get requests for quilting that is not within your skill level range, you should pass this job on to another quilter with those skills.... But before you do that, have a good chat with the customer about all options out there. If she's not in a big hurry, you could spend the next few weeks doing lots of PPP on feathered circles. And if you feel confident enough you can finish her quilt then. There are stencils available in many sizes with the feathered circles you can mark with blue pen, or chalk.

I agree with all said so far. The fabric is busy so unless you use something like wool batting the quilting in the blocks will be hidden. You can find a stencil and use that for the wreath. That is a great way to get the feel for doing freehand feather wreaths. I would SID the star so that it pops more and push back the background with just a stipple. I like Shannon's ideas for the sashing and the borders.

Annie,

It pays to use thread that matches the fabric when doing patterns you aren't as sure about. Maybe since they wouldn't show that much on the busy fabric, this would be a good quilt to try the circle wreaths out on. I always mark 3 circles for circle wreaths - the inner edge, the center spine, and the outer edge. Then I take Pam Clarke's stencil and mark the wreath into eight sections. This will give you good guidemarks. It wouldn't hurt to pre-mark the feathers the first time. Another trick I've learned is to go way back on the spine before each feather -- it helps give you the proper direction.

Best wishes! I think you should go for it!

Originally posted by doodlebug

i second shana....

will they at least show on the back?

i'd CC the star blocks and ribbon candy that sashing/border

ribbon candy the cream inner border

and a feather the outer border and call it a quilt

Can you show me what the ribbon candy would look like? I'm having trouble picturing it. Sorry to be such a newbie...

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Update...the quilt top has arrived. It is just like the picture, mottled black borders with black on tan print. The backing is the same busy print. I received my Circle Lord with featherz template, so I'm off to install and practice before jumping into this quilt:D I figure my quilting is not going to show much so what the heck. I'll do my best and learn along the way.

Archived