Yellow Brick Road: How Many Hours?

The last one I did was the 12 fat quater lap quilt and I did the WHOLE thing piecing and quilting in a weekend. The top was about 6 hours from start to finish and that was also including coffee and potty breaks, no meal cooking they were on their own. Quilting and binding was a long next day as it was meanding feathers and I wasn't very good at feathers yet....

SO a queen...would more than likely be a 10-12 hour day for piecing...as I think without looking its about 30 fat quarters. I've done one, but wasn't in a hurry and did it over a weeks time.

Hi.

Thanks for the estimates. I have about 26 FQ's for it. Glad it is that fast, as she only wants to spend $450 including fabric, piecing, batting, quilting and binding. After I did the math, it was not looking very "profitable" for all the work! I was such a softie for the sweet 92 year old!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NJ

Well, I got you all beat! I iron, cut, piece, quilt and bind a queen size YBR (30FQ) in 12 hrs. I sell mine for $380.00 and make $23.00/hr after all my costs are paid. Buying my fabric wholesale helps of course.

PS. I do apply my binding by machine, stitch to the back, fold to the front and top stitch with a decorative stitch in matching thread, the only shortcut I take

Yes Lisa, buying retail doesn't help and doing anything by hand reduces your profit, but the pattern is easy to cut and chain piece, stack 5 FQ's together and cut them at the same time, that helps. Chain piece, that helps cut down time. I even stack six sets after my first step and cut those together. I use a 60mm rotary cutter and a Creative Grid 6 1/2" ruler with non slip back,

Monika, you're a fast quilt maker! I've done ONE fast in my lifetime and hope to not have to do it that fast again (wedding was that night and hadn't started yet, but it was another easy pattern).

Good luck with this one, Lisa. I would say at least a couple of days from start to finish for your 1st YBR. The ones to follow would probably be quicker, maybe someday as quick as Monika!

I pieced a YBR queen for my son in December. It took about 8 hours to piece it. I have made a number of them, so it was faster than the first few.

I quilted it with the CL Baptist Fan, so the quilting was speedy, too, maybe 4 hours, plus loading time. I did my binding as Monika does, sew to the back and flip to the front and I use a feather stitch on my Bernina to sew it to the front.

Maybe about 15 hours total. I started it on a Friday night and finished it on a Sunday night, but all my fabrics were already chosen.

Archived