Grip-Lite side clamps

Question, I purchased these wider side clamps. they have a thin double sided velcro on them. My current clamps have a 1" wide piece of elastic and attach to the ends with simple to close brackets.

My question: Do I remove these brackets and just use the velcro on the lite-grip clamps OR should I leave these brackets and change the lite-grip side clamps to 1 " elastic? What is everyone's experience.

On the grip-lite I like the idea they show of using 2 clamps to hold a quilt sandwich vertically to "test" your tension before starting to quilt (so if I change them to 1" elastic I won't be able to do that?

Any ideas - if I'm not making myself clear, I can send photos after work.

Thanks for all your help!

when i changed to the grip lite clamps, i just cut the 'velcro' off and used the existing nut/bolts that were holding my orange tipped clamps....

i use the extra backing at the side of the quilt to check stitches before starting in on the quilt...ideally of course :)

I also had the orange handled clamps with the elastic and a little clamp bracket. I replaced them with the grip lite clamps. My end brackets were put on with velcro originally. I took off the bracket with the velcro and left the other velcro on the machine frame. Works great -- I like the velcro over the elastic.

That is how I have been doing tension testing for a while

EXCEPT I use the cut off 6" long cardboard tubes from a Panto parcel Linda Card sent me.

ie large diameter cardboard tube with a 1" section cut out that slips over the rollers, similar to the clips that would hold a quilt on the rollers if you had to fix a whoopsie.

I use the scrap backing and backing fabric from trimming up quilts.

Lyn

Archived