Quilt is finished. Ready to mail

This is the first quilt I've had to mail back to a customer. What advice do you have. I was going to ask for her preference and follow that--but I'm pretty sure she hasn't had to do this either. She sent the top and backing to me in an uninsured priority mail box. It's worth more now! It won't fit in a priority mail box now! Any advice would be appreciated. Jane

post--13461903715817_thumb.jpg

kristina -

i thought i had read a thread once - not long ago - that said that ups wouldnt pay for time - only materials. i am hallucinating? for some reason i thought marybeth said it.

i read it quickly since i dont quilt for others.

I had the EXPERIENCE with UPS. I had forgotten all about it--years ago...handmade item, broken, only pay for material. I will use USPS...and I understand Heidi, that the customer should figure the cost of the fabric and the quilting in the insurance amount? Thanks! Jane

I have several quilts that go back and forth to AK where I used to live and I just insure them, and use tracking on them and I have not had a problem. UPS does not deliver in the remote town in AK so that was not an option and I just added the cost to the customer's bill which she did not have a problem with paying...so far so good...I will add that it was expensive too.

I ship quilts back all the time and have found UPS sometimes delivers to the wrong address because they no longer have the recipient sign for the packages. I had one package left on a porch of a house with a for sale sign in the yard. It took forever to find and they would not accept responsibility for their mistake. I had to go look for it because they said they delivered it so it was my problem but they didn't know where they delivered it. I ship priority USPS now and have not had any problem and I found it to be less expensive. The post office will also provide you with a box for free and even tape it shut for you after you add the invoice.

I always used UPS, until they stopped getting signatures... Now I only use FedEx or USPS, with required signatures and insurance. Both of these companies have tape there so that you can seal it up after you have paid for it and added the invoice, or I usually always took my own along as it was a better quality tape.

Both will only insure for the materials unless you have an official apprasial stating its worth.

I always double wrap the quilt in some kind of plastic so just in case the truck gets left open and its raining the box can be wet, but the quilt stays dry.

And then I always track each step of the way for a package...I had one go recently though USPS and it was lost in New Jersey for 2 weeks....it wasn't until I started to scream and rant that they even knew to go look for it, as the quilt didn't arrive and it hadn't moved from the location it was last book into. I didn't yell right away, as the USPS doesn't always update their systems like they brag they do. So I let it run what I thought would be a normal delivery time....Once I made them aware of it not moving from the hub in New Jersey, they found it and it was moved right along, and delivered safely.

Thanks for the shipping advice. Now I'm worried. Customer wants it sent without insurance--so I assume no tracking. It won't fit in a priority box. I wouldn't have thought of double wrapping in plastic--so I appreciate that advice--and Linda, thanks for the kind comment on the quilting. Sagebrush Quilter and Jessica both gave me good advice! It's a quilt I'm proud of, but sure did sweat over! Linda Rech's cross hatch rulers sound wonderful after all those trips around the machine to use the Hartley Fence! Jane

I have shipped customer quilts. One of my customers insists on UPS, no insurance, label it as a "blanket". She has had no problem getting them, and you can ask for a signature. Others have been shipped FedEx, once again no problems. I ask the customer how they want it shipped, and that is what I do.

Originally posted by jebm

Customer wants it sent without insurance--so I assume no tracking. It won't fit in a priority box.

You can use any new box...I usually get my boxes at Office Depot or Office Max.

If you use the USPS you don't have to insure it, but you can have a tracking number to make sure it gets there....but Insurance is so little in cost.

Here is a sample pricing I made up....

SEE insurance is almost nothing compared to loss....and this is with a delivery confirmation.

Summary

for a Package of 9 lbs 0 oz

mailed from MARLBORO NY 12542 to RENO NV 89501 on March 19

Mailing Summary Your Cost

Priority Mail® Medium Flat Rate Box $10.70

Insurance (Amount of Insurance $150.00) 2.75

Delivery Confirmation™ 0.70

Total $14.15

Archived