I did exactly what I tell my students NOT to do...

I was flushing out my bobbin with WD-40 like a good girl and had a piece of scrap batting underneath to catch the drips.

and

then

I looked away.

:(

It took a half a second and the battting is now completely wadded up in the bobbin chase and I can't budge the flywheel at all.

UGH! My day just got way longer. :mad:

I've cut away as much of the batting as I can and I've pulled out as much as I can with the tweezers. The flywheel is still jammed. UGH!

Okay, so I called Christy at APQS and cried on her shoulder (well, in her ear).

She helped me work through the process and I got all the bits of the batt out and the flywheel/hook is now rotating with ease. I still need to throw some scrap fabric up on the frame to test the stitch quality. Everyone cross their fingers with me and let's hope I didn't completely funk up the bobbin basket/hook. GAH!

Christy also said Amy would be wagging her finger at me and telling me to put an old cookie sheet under the head to catch the drips. Then I don't have to rely on my own coordination. Good tip!

So... all in all.... learn from my mistake and remember that Christy and Amy are used to teary phone calls. ;)

I clean mine but lay a towel across the beams and covering the quilt and never get close to the bobbin area only after I turn machine off and wipe it out. I clean it daily even if its cut to spray out the dust, and spray can air after each new bobbin. I hope I am doing that right.

Originally posted by AHuffman

So... all in all.... learn from my mistake and remember that Christy and Amy are used to teary phone calls. ;)

I am so sorry this happened to you! I haven't had this happen to me and hopefully it never does happen. I try to be very careful not to get anything near the moving machinery!! :o

Originally posted by eswindy

I clean mine but lay a towel across the beams and covering the quilt and never get close to the bobbin area only after I turn machine off and wipe it out. I clean it daily even if its cut to spray out the dust, and spray can air after each new bobbin. I hope I am doing that right.

Yes, this is a very good practice; lay an old towel or scrap batting across the carriage to catch drips. :) You can also find a small bowl that fits between the carriage and lay a little piece of scrap batting in there to catch the drips. Whatever works, but keep stuff (towels, fingers, etc..) far away from moving parts!

I am glad I am not the only one that this happened to with a cloth whilst cleaning. I am sure that since I did this that my hopping foot seems to be a little lower down though !! but it is stitching OK so am not going to mess with it!

Hope you are back up and running and stitch quality is good !!

Originally posted by lisae

OH NO, DORY! Not the C word!!!! It is MAINTENANCE...LOL :D

Okay, I'll 'fess up; I do clean her on occasion. However, in thinking about it, I haven't done the WD-40 since I got Lily let up...in January. Perhaps its time??;)

And...another confession, while I'm waiting for Lily to warm up, I vaccuum the rug in our yurt. I can't help it. Its the only pet free room on our property, so its easy to keep clean. No muddy puppy prints and not nearly as much dust! We are thinking of getting cork to cover the concrete...that will be very nice!

Originally posted by Janette

I am glad I am not the only one that this happened to with a cloth whilst cleaning. I am sure that since I did this that my hopping foot seems to be a little lower down though !! but it is stitching OK so am not going to mess with it!

Hope you are back up and running and stitch quality is good !!

You can always check your hopping foot height by putting it in its lowest position. If you can get two to three business cards under the hopping foot when it is in this position, you're fine! Of course, you may need a bit more room under your hopping foot if you are quilting a particularly high loft batt.

Archived