How to take a tuck or a pleat?

cjtinkle

I hope I can help here, I haven't posted on this site for SOOOO long. I don't tuck or pleat, but do a "Piano' treatment. Sew straight lines on the border about 1-11/2" apart coming out from the quilt body. This really takes up the fullness. I have photos which I will have to scan and try to remember how to post to you.

There is a lady in our quilt group who always puts on borders like that..............just gets a strip of border fabric long enough for the whole quilt, sews down one side, whacks if off and so on. I've tried to HINT that I just can't do it that way and have to measure, pin, etc. or it comes out wavy. She still keeps doing it. I am surprised too, as she has an HQ16 and quilts her own quilts. I'd think she would notice. :D Before she got her own machine I quilted a couple quilts for her and they were like butterfly wings on all the mitered corners. I did take those apart and fixed them. I never told her, as the quilts were really pretty and to be a gift for her granddaughter. She's a nice lady..........just doesn't put the borders on right !! :P

Originally posted by cjtinkle

I have another question. When you ease in a super full border instead of fixing it, will the quilt ever lay flat after it's been washed?

Since you have stitched the full (eased) border to the batting and backer, the quilt will lay flat. What will show on the front is the fullness between each piano key. That fullness has a pleasant look to it--much better than pleats or tucks.

A great solution to fullness in the border!! Nice photos--thanks so much, Phyllis.

Archived