Can thread "dry out"?

But to add to Gator's advise....there is a point that no matter how much you use its just not worth it. I just threw out several hundred dollars worth of thread due to humidty that wasn't controlled after the threads were in a dry climate for several years. This thread was more than likely 5-8 years old so keep in mind it doesn't happen overnight, but also keep in mind you don't get an experation date on the threads so you really hadn't any idea how long ago it was actually made. If you do a snap test and it breaks without any resistance then just throw it away...its just not worth the headache you will have whiile trying to quilt.

To do a test...take a length about 20 inches long, wrap each end aound your hand and gently pull if it snaps without much pressure its gone...throw it away. I even do this at the store before I buy it...you just never know when or how old it actually is. ALSO invest in some Sewers Aid...it will help those who haven't yet gone totally, and it helps in other areas as well.

Originally posted by lyonden

I have actually spritzed my thread, put in plastic bag and placed it in the freezer for a few days.

Which also works as well as just putting into the freezer, but there could be a time it just rots and it's not worth the fight.

Yes, Mam. Thread can dry rot just like fabric does. If it has been in the sun or in a place where the fan or AC blows right on it, it is more likely to rot. If you spritz and put in a bag you'd better put it in the freezer or refrig cause it can mildew also. Remember ashes to ashes, dust to dust. It may be on its way!

This makes me laugh....cuz I just threw out several hundred dollars worth of a mix and match brands, but sadly I report that several were Superior. It's all how you care for it as to how long it will last. I lived about 90 miles south of where I currently live, I did not have any dehumidifiers in the house....I lost fabric that would literally fall apart in your hands after about 6 months of being in boxes both plastic and cardboard. My threads were kept in sacks and those that I didn't keep in the freezer are pretty much all that we just threw out. I had lived in Nevada for almost 20 years and moved everything to a very humid area in comparision. I didn't have a place to put things away as it was in storage for almost a year. The threads I have now are in a humid controlled area and I know it will last many years.

Moral to the story....if you care for it you will use the spools up before they fall apart.

Bonnie I have to laugh everytime I hear you say how humid it is here. I don't think of this area as being humid at all. LOL I guess I spent too much time down south. VA is miserable! I guess it is all where you come form. I do have a dehumidifier in the basement though so my thread is save. Luckily we have no sign of moisture or water in our basement.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Bonnie I have to laugh everytime I hear you say how humid it is here. I don't think of this area as being humid at all. LOL I guess I spent too much time down south. VA is miserable! I guess it is all where you come form. I do have a dehumidifier in the basement though so my thread is save. Luckily we have no sign of moisture or water in our basement.

the average humidity in Reno is around 20-30% and here it's 50-80%. I would say it's a way bit higher than what I was use to. It took me 3 years to get use to it. The dehumidifier upstairs gets emptied every 6 hours right now the 2 downstairs self dump every 3 hours so I must be even wetter down here.

so, since i'm in syracuse, do you think i should have a dehumidifier in my studio?

what is so funny is i was thinking about getting a HUMIDIFIER this winter cause the furnace made things feel so dry in here. clueless - that's what i am.

should i get a dehumidifier?

I would. Mine runs even in the winter, but I don't have the heat up beyond 65 unless I'm in the studio and then it gets kicked up to 70. If your fabric feels even the tiniest bit damp I would definitely. The cost of that Insurance is worth it.

Meg,

I would definitely put in a dehumidifier. We have one but only empty it every day or every other day. Our house is only 7 years old so it is very well insulated and I think that is one of the major reasons we don't have so many problems. We do have a humifier built into our furnace so that in the winter we don't dry out too much.

Bonnie I meant nothing bad, it just always gives me a giggle. I too have caught myself saying it is humid out but after living down south for almost 20 years our humidity is nothing! I would feel like I just had a fresh shower just walking to my car! I hate humidity. I went west last year and we went to Vegas in July...I don't care what anybody says, hot is hot, humidity or not! I am not a huge fan of anything over 85 degrees. 120 degrees is way outside my threshold of acceptable! I would rather have the humidity of summer's in NC and temps in the 90's.

Originally posted by Ardelle Kerr

Originally posted by Bonnie

The threads I have now are in a humid controlled area and I know it will last many years.

So Bonnie, exactly what is your humid controlled area?

they are in a room with a dehumidifier. That is my control.

If you live in a humid area, use a dehumidifier (I have one). Another suggestion, an electronic engineer told me dry air is bad for electronics because it causes static electricity (not to mention what it does for my COPD). I have electric heat in the winter which is very, very dry. If the air is dry it will also pull the moisture out of everything. I run a humidifier in the winter months when the heat is on. I use a thermometer with a humidistat in my sewing studio/room to

keep an eye on things. He suggested to keep the humidity level between 35 and 50 percent.

I live in Alberta. In the winter it is very dry, made worse by furnaces. My daughter plays guitar and has this cool litlle humidifier for her guitar case that is like a little jar with a sponge filled with water. Was wondering if putting one of these in the drawer my thread was in would do it? My longarm/thread is in our store, which is too large for a humidifier to help (as well as size, all that fabric just sops up the moisture).

got my dehumidifier today and set it up.

last night - i had a dream that i was driving Lola-baby and my feet were ankle deep in freezing water.

i think this was worrying me more than I thought it was!

dh thinks i have finally flipped - if he only knew.

Originally posted by meg

got my dehumidifier today and set it up.

last night - i had a dream that i was driving Lola-baby and my feet were ankle deep in freezing water.

i think this was worrying me more than I thought it was!

dh thinks i have finally flipped - if he only knew.

LOL that is funny! I think you need some sleep my dear!

I'm thinking you all don't know what humidity really feels like unless you live or visit St. Louis in the middle of summer. If you can live here, you can live any where! My hair can be straight as can be in the house, walk outside and it frizzies up like I've had a bad permanent!! Be thankful you don't have bad hair days all summer!!:P:P Dar

Archived