how do you float your top?

I took a class from Sue Patten at HMQS recently. She described her technique for floating a quilt top and keeping it square. I didn't take copious notes because I thought she said it was in her book. Which I now have and it's only briefly mentioned.

So....I tried it on one quilt and it seems to work ok. But I'm wondering how the rest of you manage?

It went like this....before loading, measure the center of the quilt top from border seam to border seam. Mark the center of the quilt top canvas (not in use because the top is floating) with a straight pin. Then measure out half the distance of the quilt center and mark those spots too. Those are where the border seam should fall. SID the border seam as you go, to keep it in line.

Do you have a better way? Do you mark with pins or something else? Do you use a clamp of some sort to keep the middle of the quilt top from pulling in while quilting?

Thanks for your input, it is highly valued!

I don't actually measure the quilt (maybe I should). I use painters tape to mark various seams on the quilt top roller. I usually mark each border seam and the center of the quilt. Sometimes I mark seams in between the center and the border and/or the actual edge of the quilt.

Annie as far as floating your top I will leave that to the more experenced quilters to answer. I just wanted to say when I first glanced at the title of your post, quilting wasn't the first thing that popped into my mind. I know shame :(:( :P

Originally posted by Liam1964

Annie as far as floating your top I will leave that to the more experenced quilters to answer. I just wanted to say when I first glanced at the title of your post, quilting wasn't the first thing that popped into my mind. I know shame :(:( :P

ROTFLOL:P:P

I'm expecting some "float your boat" jokes....thanks for the laugh Liam.

Liam! I'm there in the gutter with you! It's a lot more fun down here!!

Speaking of floating tops, you should have seen the fun we had in a MQS class when Renae Haddadin's quilt backing got messed up! She had duct taped it on and said it works for classes! She was soo funny. It came off and was floating around under the machine!!!:P:P:P:P

I usually just use that longarm centering tape and try to keep it lined up. I also use those little clamps to keep it somewhat taught....taut.....hahaha..... pun intended!:P

Originally posted by Hollyrw

I don't actually measure the quilt (maybe I should). I use painters tape to mark various seams on the quilt top roller. I usually mark each border seam and the center of the quilt. Sometimes I mark seams in between the center and the border and/or the actual edge of the quilt.

Ooh, painter's tape would work much better than trying to stick straight pins into the canvas roll ;) Thanks Holly!

I've been thinking I need to take a video of how I float my tops, because whenever I hear quilters describe it, it seems that they make it way more difficult than it really needs to be (in my opinion) :).

I just put on my backing, then batting lined up flush with the backing along where it is pinned, then add the top over the quilt top roller (for lining up purposes), and line it up with the batting/backing. Then I carefully slip the top underneath the quilt top roller and smooth it out and make sure the top is aligned with the batting/backing. I line the top up with the batting/backing first before slipping underneath the quilt top roller because once you have it on there, it tends to "stick" to the batting--which is good because it keeps it in place, but it's also difficult to make major adjustments after that point. Once you have it square and lined up, smooth out the top.

Then I quilt, smoothing out the quilt as I go, and always keeping a hand on the top to smooth out as I quilt. As I advance the quilt, I continue to smooth out and keep everything taught. With each advance, I gently tug the top and batting towards me all along the quilt and to the sides to keep everything in line.

I know many quilters pin, but I usually quilt all the way to the edge and have not found it necessary.

Easy! It works great for me, and I've had no problems or issues with this method, even with king sized quilts. In fact I have a king sized quilt on the frame right now that I did with this method, and I'm at the end with no puckers or problems at all. It's great!

I also float the top using the method mentioned.

To mark the major areas needing to be lined up (border edges/border seams/and maybe the center of the top) painter's tape is great, but I mark right on the top un-used leader with a water-erase blue marker. Adjust to match the points as close as possible with each advance. When the quilt is removed I use a water-dipped Q-tip to remove the marks.

Originally posted by quiltiste

I've been thinking I need to take a video of how I float my tops, because whenever I hear quilters describe it, it seems that they make it way more difficult than it really needs to be (in my opinion) :).

I just put on my backing, then batting lined up flush with the backing along where it is pinned, then add the top over the quilt top roller (for lining up purposes), and line it up with the batting/backing. Then I carefully slip the top underneath the quilt top roller and smooth it out and make sure the top is aligned with the batting/backing. I line the top up with the batting/backing first before slipping underneath the quilt top roller because once you have it on there, it tends to "stick" to the batting--which is good because it keeps it in place, but it's also difficult to make major adjustments after that point. Once you have it square and lined up, smooth out the top.

Then I quilt, smoothing out the quilt as I go, and always keeping a hand on the top to smooth out as I quilt. As I advance the quilt, I continue to smooth out and keep everything taught. With each advance, I gently tug the top and batting towards me all along the quilt and to the sides to keep everything in line.

I know many quilters pin, but I usually quilt all the way to the edge and have not found it necessary.

Easy! It works great for me, and I've had no problems or issues with this method, even with king sized quilts. In fact I have a king sized quilt on the frame right now that I did with this method, and I'm at the end with no puckers or problems at all. It's great!

I tried this once. About half way through I noticed that one lower corner seemed to be going wonky. It just got wonkier as I went. I wasn't pleased. I think I need more control to keep things lined up. I'd love to see you demonstrate this on a video! Then maybe I'd see what to do. I'm not good with one-handed quilting yet either.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

I also float the top using the method mentioned.

To mark the major areas needing to be lined up (border edges/border seams/and maybe the center of the top) painter's tape is great, but I mark right on the top un-used leader with a water-erase blue marker. Adjust to match the points as close as possible with each advance. When the quilt is removed I use a water-dipped Q-tip to remove the marks.

Good alternative to the painter's tape!

Originally posted by anniemueller

Originally posted by Hollyrw

Ooh, painter's tape would work much better than trying to stick straight pins into the canvas roll ;) Thanks Holly!

I forgot to mention the other advantage to using the painters tape, the leader isn't flopping around.

OK, I need some help with this. I usually float mine like quiltiste and I have had some tops go wonky , but I did not realize it was because I was floating the top. And I don't understand what you're saying about marking the top and leader with pins, marker, or tape. How does this help as you roll the quilt. Are you marking the quilt all the way from top to bottom through the center in order to match it up with the mark on the leader, or what? Can someone clarify this for me?

I look forward to hearing what the others say, but in my experience if you are being careful about smoothing the layers out and aren't quilting extremely dense, the wonkiness is likely more because of a problem quilt, ie--a quilt that isn't square or that isn't pieced very nicely. I've noticed this because I have some customers who are beginning quilters, or who are just consistently messy piecers. So imagine, you're already starting out with imperfect fabric (even the best of fabric is still not perfect), then they cut with imperfections, then sewing not exactly perfect, then press sloppily, and then you end up with a cascading recipe for disaster, thus a wonky quilt! The quilters who are very neat, precise, and skilled in piecing never present a problem, at least so far they haven't for me.

I am curious how marking the top and leader helps too. I mean, you can't make a wonky quilt perfect--you are going to have problems with it regardless of how much pinning you do or don't do--the puckers and extra fabric have to go somewhere.

Thanks, I look forward to more insight into this too. Good topic!

I think the idea is that with the "boundaries" marked, you SID first to keep those seams in place. Then quilt. Roll, SID those same seams, quilt, etc. I suppose you could pin instead of SID as well.

I still hate to SID....mine wanders all around the ditch. I'm much better at SND...stitch near the ditch:P:P

I took Sue's class at MQX and I forgot she said this. (I really must go over my notes.) I use the tape that stretches across your quilt. I like her idea because you didn't need to keep getting the tape out. (I like to put mine across the quilt, not on the back roller.) But then again, I have painters tape around that canvas so it doesn't keep coming unrolled. A dilemna!

Originally posted by JBQuilts

OK I understand the SID part and I guess the center is just an initial mark to find the line for the SID.......I guess. In this case do you stitch down the edge of the quilt as you go?

That's what I did. It was a bit of a pain, but it did help keep the quilt top square.

Originally posted by LibbyG

I took Sue's class at MQX and I forgot she said this. (I really must go over my notes.) I use the tape that stretches across your quilt. I like her idea because you didn't need to keep getting the tape out. (I like to put mine across the quilt, not on the back roller.) But then again, I have painters tape around that canvas so it doesn't keep coming unrolled. A dilemna!

Are you using a cloth tape measure to stretch across your quilt?

I have the measuring tape that has 0 at the centre and goes out in both directions. I have it taped to my leveller bar. It has fluoro pink arrow markers you can slide along it.

I line up an arrow at the outer edges of the quilt top and major inner borders. I then use my mum's dressmaker square ruler (L shaped). line up the bottom of the line on the level bar and I can then use the sides to make sure my quilt is straight and square. I pin the sides and borders as I go.

I have taken off my Quilt top roller so I can reach my quilting area easier, easier for smoothing out the batting and quilt too.

Lyn

I read the 'tip' of the day re: curved corners on quilts using a pin/string, marker, etc. I guess I'm lazy, but on the quilts that I want rounded corners, I place my LARGEST dinner plate, draw around the curve part. Do all 4 corners the same. Then when it comes to binding, I use straight strips of fabric for the sides, but when I come near a corner, I attach a bias strip several feet long to go around the curved corner. Then back to using the straight binding, and so on around the quilt. I've never used this on really large quilts, but have done 80 x 80 and they came out looking nice. And I was wondering if someone could make a 'house call' - I still can't picture in my mind the formula for floating the tops. I don't have much problem with the quilts becoming awry, but I only do my quilts, not for customers I load the backing, batting as usual and then pin the top to that. I use a fabric adhesive spray along the edges and don't appear to have any problems with it. If you can stand the odor of it. ML

Archived