Legacy Batting

What kind did you get? They have 15 different types of batting. I just became a regional long arm distributor for PA for Legacy batting and really believe in the company and the batting.

I quilted up large cheater samples so far of the 80/20 without scrim - love it! puffy (not quite as much as Hobb's 80/20) but soooo much softer and consistent, the 100% natural with scrim - easy to quilt, soft and lighter and more drape than Warm and Natural and the Bamboo blend - REALLY soft and nice definition (but it is a bit llinty but not much more than any other 100% cotton that I have used.

I bought the 80/20 w/o scrim because it felt so soft. The scrim was scratchy and looked looser which is probably not the case because it can be quilted 8-10 inches and the stuff w/scrim can be 8-10 inches apart. I will try it in a couple of weeks and see what I think. Been using Airtex but as of late it is see through thin in places.

Nice choice! I just sold a few rolls of this same batting to a LQS right before their shop hop this weekend. I think they will be very pleased with it. I don't know anything about Airtex, but one thing I know the Legacy line does is have consistency - the roll, board, package whatever will be uniform throughout without any thin spots!

• 8 months later...

I have bought Legacy 80/20 Blend with scrim binder: 80% Cotton & 20% Polyester and with the last quilt found alot of pokies (bearding). Tried all the needle changing, loosening the roll tention, 4 different threads (this was a test piece) and still have the problem. My question is do you put the ruff side down or up??

Usually the rough side is down. It is rough because of the needle-punching, which means the needles go from the front (top) to the back. You machine needle should go through the same way to avoid pokies. That said, pokies can also be caused by your needle, heavily stiffened backer (either starched or sized--or just "crunchy" from the manufacturing process) or no scrim. These don't seem to be part of the problem in your case.

My favorite pokie solution after-the-fact is a nice matching Pigma pen or a nice sharp needle to poke those pokies back.;)

I got some 80/20 with scrim, and found it to be a fairly linty mess. It got all over everything in the studio...floor, TV screen, my DSM...the thermostat..my Millie, and all the dark fabric in the quilt top. It has a nice soft drape, and quited up fine, although I did have some pokies on the dark backing. I didn't consider them to be extreme, but it did make the starts more obvious on the back. That said, I don't plan to use it again because of the mess it makes everywhere.

Archived