Can someone explain why no quilt glide for 2007 and back?

I was just wondering if someone could explain to me why APQS can't retro fit the quilt glide to the machines later than 2008.

Is it strickly a marketing move or is their an actual hardware issue that doesn't allow it.

If it is hardware, then is their anyone that knows of a aftermarket one that works better? Mine is way too jumpy to be effective. The one on my Bernina DSM works better for some reason.

I don't due a ton of free hand because I own a compuquilter but maybe they could help us get a better regulator?

Would appreciate any comments from anyone that knows what the situation actually is, I can already assume there are many of us pre-2007 that would be interested.

Thanks

Brendalee

Brendalee,

In 2008 the Millennium went through some extensive "internal upgrades" with circuit boards and wiring to keep up with emerging technology. For example, you may notice that your machine connects via white plugs called "Molex" cables...these were very cutting-edge when the Millennium was introduced over a decade ago.

But if you've shopped for a computer or even a cell phone lately, it's hard to keep up with the ever-changing technology. In 2008 our engineering department redesigned the circuitry with CAT-5 cables, incorporated LED lights (again, relatively new on the market...it has only been in the last two years that LED lights have emerged fully in the consumer industry--LED Christmas lights are one example).

So, the upside is that APQS doesn't just slap a new sticker on the machine and call it a new model...we do our best to keep the machine and our service as the best in the industry. The downside is that at some point a machine will no longer be the "latest and greatest" and some newer technology just cannot revert backwards. Gee, I remember when my Ultimate I was the top-of-the line APQS model...and look at how all of you have surpassed me with your Millies! It might just be time for a change:).

Hope this helps explain things!

Brendalee,

I'm probably going to get myself in trouble again, but I don't really understand why it can't be done either. I think that there is a switch where quiltglide is turned on or off. Seems to me that if a stitch regulator can be added to a non-SR machine, there ought to be some way of adding on an after-market quiltguide type device that will work with the electronics of a 2007. Just sayin.

It's frustrating to have made the investment in 2007 and have this feature, which has pretty much become a necessity, unavailable unless one makes another huge investment of trading in a good machine. Just seems to me that there must be another way, a product that could be developed by someone if APQS can't do it.

Lenni is a fairly new machine, which supposedly would have no changes. Most of the new stuff does NOT work on the Lenni, and at times it bothers me, especially when they can get it to fit most of the machines they put out. And changes were made.

It's like trying to put a new engine in a 1942 auto.. just won't work in most cases.

RitaR

Brendalee, you SR shouldn't be jumpy, I would call Dawn about it. Technology moves fast and like Dawn said they have to keep up, just like cars. When you think about it, if you send an older machine back for upgrades by the time the company is finished, a newer machine would cost about the same. If you "upgrade" to a newer machine model, it's just the head (unless you want bliss) and if you compare the cost of upgrading your current machine and trading for a newer machine with all the technology the cost is about the same, especially if your current machine is only a couple years old. Remember APQS machines maintain there value. Brendalee, you SR shouldn't be jumpy, I would call Dawn about it.

My stitch regulator works fine at regular speeds, but when you slow way down and try to do things like microstippling, that it when it is "jumpy". I believe this is normal and it is what the Quilt Glide was created to eliminate, allowing even firing of the stitches. I think that is what Brendalee is talking about. Any idea what the cost would be to trade a 2007 Freedom SR head for a new one with Quilt Glide?

Originally posted by marycontrary

My stitch regulator works fine at regular speeds, but when you slow way down and try to do things like microstippling, that it when it is "jumpy". I believe this is normal and it is what the Quilt Glide was created to eliminate, allowing even firing of the stitches. I think that is what Brendalee is talking about.

It is not a fix or a replacement for Quilt Glide, but if you increase your SPI to around 15 when you are doing microwork, that will reduce some of the "jumpy" as it is firing more stitches and reducing the jerky or resistance feeling.

Archived