Edgerider Wheels

Well My Liberty made it's way home on Tuesday after it's spa treatment. DH put her back together late last night (after having 2 molars pulled in the morning due to an abcess) but that is another story ;) anyways after much head scratching and rereading the instructions, the ones that came with the wheels and the ones on Patty's (katydids) website they are finally on. Was too late to take her out for a test drive last night so I finally gat around to it this afternoon (wanted to do it earlier but needed to take our Cocker Spaniel to the vet, she hasn't been feeling well and was starting to get worried-yet another story). anyways WOW! no more drag smooth as silk just need to refind my tension sweet spot since the factory had it set for pre wounds and I wind my own. Also everything sounds more quieter more percision like and if you just barely touch it with a finger it glides so just need to adjust to the new sensitivty of the machine, I already tested out a popular panto that my customers like and it went pretty good. Some one once said the edgerider wheels feel like skating on ice, I now understand what they meant, will need to get use to backtracking on the previous stitching lines with the new feel.

It's good to have her back and starting tomorrow I need to get working on my customer quilt backlog, which I am already a few days behind because of lifes curve balls and obstacles.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

How often do the machines need to spa treatment?

Depending on how much you use it.. If you are one who puts a ton of quilts though it each year then a yearly checkup is suggested so t hat you can make sure that the parts aren't wearing out...like the needle bar, bushings, and hook assembly...if you do less than 50 quilts and don't have any trouble then every other year or so.

NOW also if you are one who doesn't know how to do a deep cleaning on the machine or doesn't want to do maintance then yearly also.

Lisa, My Liberty was bought in 2005, so it is 5 years old and does get a lot of use but this was the first it has gone back for a spa treatment. Amy was suprised it was in such good shap for the amount of use it got.

This is what they replaced on it...circuit boards, CE crouzet relay, capacitor surge suprissor, motor brushes, rocker with block assembly(this has to do with the needle bar thingy that was upgraded shortly after my machine was bought in 2005) a new teflon hook/assembly (these get pretty scratched/nicked up over the years), optical sensor, magnet collar. Don't ask me what all of these are, couldn't tell you, lol

They also repacked my grease, put on a new stitch plate and new pig tails for me. I also ordered new leaders but haven't put those on yet, will wait until things calm down some at home. ;);)

Amy did say that the motor brushes should be replaced yearly under heavy use, I replaced them last year and they had to be relaced again. She also said that my motor was fine but to keep an eye on it because they too need to be changed out over time.

I just have to ask, how much did that cost? I sounds huge! Can reps do this service or is this required to be done at the manufacturer? ......yes, I'm still a newbie, can you tell? If you would prefer not to answer, could you email me or u2u?

Has anyone tried the M&M wheels from APQS.

OMG

I've had edgeriders before, but these are fantastic.

I love, love, love them.

They are a hard, smooth black type of plastic. You can replace the ball bearings if they go bad all by yourself.

These are the same wheels that they put on the new head axles for Bliss.

You can purchase them from APQS for $240.00.

Ouch I know, but worth every penny.

I fell in love with my machine all over again.

JoAnn

Hi Joann.

Wow, that was a lot of stuff replaced! After taking my maintenance class with Amy at MQX in April, I took my machine apart and checked the motor brushes - all was fine. Had hubby with me, as he has experience with these things. Had the new brushed just in case and there was little wear. Behind the front cover looked clean too. Nowrapped threads or excessive lint. Actually, hardly any at all! I was expecting the worst, as Amy showed us in class.

I just checked out my log and realized I have only done about 85 quilts on it so far. I got it in 2007, but it sat for a year due to a terrible ankle injury. That is only 40-ish each year...I better get busier!! So many of you do that per month...now I'm sad!!!:(

Better do something to drum up business!

Lisa

Guest Linda S

Dang! Why didn't someone tell me about the M&M wheels before I ordered the edgeriders? LOL Oh well, it seems improvements are always being made. When I need new wheels, I'll go for the M&Ms!

I do a lot of my own maintenance on my machine. Just gave her a very thorough spa treatment when I changed out the wheels. Perhaps someday soon though, she will need to go visit the factory for a spa vacation. I've had mine since 2004.

Linda

Most of the items replaced were small stuff less than $5 each, the big stuff was the circuit boards, teflon hook assembly, the needle bar/rocker thingy upgrade and labor. Alot of this stuff could have been done by me because the parts are "plug in" type parts but I didn't want to bother with it, was much easier (in my opinion) to just send it back for a spa treatment and let APQS do it. I won't be doing this every year, maybe every 3-5 years and take care of things myself in between.

Some reps may be willing to do the spa treatments, some may not, you would have to ask your individual rep...but they would most likely charge the same amount so if you thought it would save $ by sending it to them vs the factory think again.

Oh and no APQS did not change out my old wheels to the edgerider ones, we did that when she got back from the spa.

Originally posted by SKQuilts

I just have to ask, how much did that cost? I sounds huge! Can reps do this service or is this required to be done at the manufacturer? ......yes, I'm still a newbie, can you tell? If you would prefer not to answer, could you email me or u2u?

Archived