weird quilting request

My customer is an older lady who has made her first quilt, for a grandson. The fabric is nasty stretchy stuff, and NOTHING lines up. She wants the quilting to stop 1/2 inch from the edge, so she can put piping in the binding. I'm just glad she did not ask me to do that for her (well, maybe not so glad, as I would have probably told her it is impossible, and quilted to the edge). To top it all off, she wants the quilting to look just like the pre-quilted stuff you buy at WalMart; she has an old potholder in that design (yes, she brought it to show me), that she JUST LOVES! I am doing some kind of wavy crosshatching, using a vine ruler, so I hope it is an approximation. I will try to post a photo when I'm done, if I am still sane enough to do so.

My customer is an older lady who has made her first quilt, for a grandson. The fabric is nasty stretchy stuff, and NOTHING lines up. She wants the quilting to stop 1/2 inch from the edge, so she can put piping in the binding. I'm just glad she did not ask me to do that for her (well, maybe not so glad, as I would have probably told her it is impossible, and quilted to the edge). To top it all off, she wants the quilting to look just like the pre-quilted stuff you buy at WalMart; she has an old potholder in that design (yes, she brought it to show me), that she JUST LOVES! I am doing some kind of wavy crosshatching, using a vine ruler, so I hope it is an approximation. I will try to post a photo when I'm done, if I am still sane enough to do so.

Blecchh!

Question--is she going to do a piping edge, which means a turned edge enclosing the piping and hand-stitching the backer down? She will still have a bit of unquilted fabric on the front--maybe a quarter inch or so at the edge.

Good luck. It's a shame that some customers don't realize the beautiful things our machines and brains are capable of. You will do great, but you do have my sympathy!;)

Blecchh!

Question--is she going to do a piping edge, which means a turned edge enclosing the piping and hand-stitching the backer down? She will still have a bit of unquilted fabric on the front--maybe a quarter inch or so at the edge.

Good luck. It's a shame that some customers don't realize the beautiful things our machines and brains are capable of. You will do great, but you do have my sympathy!;)

as my mother used to say, "to each, his own, dear." and she would smile while she was saying it.

but, really, you are doing a real nice thing. think about how happy you will make this woman. she will be tickled and so proud to give it to her dgs. and that's what its all about, right? and, who knows, maybe she'll continue to quilt, improve and it will turn out to be a good thing.

good luck with it!

as my mother used to say, "to each, his own, dear." and she would smile while she was saying it.

but, really, you are doing a real nice thing. think about how happy you will make this woman. she will be tickled and so proud to give it to her dgs. and that's what its all about, right? and, who knows, maybe she'll continue to quilt, improve and it will turn out to be a good thing.

good luck with it!

Yes, she is planning to do a turned-over piping edge, as Linda describes. Ferret & Heidi, how do you do yours? I will let her know. She has definite ideas about how things should look. They may not be the same as mine, but they're not altogether bad ideas. I have feeling she was a pretty good seamstress at one time, but just does not yet understand the mechanics of quilting.

I took the job because someone had already turned her down & she was so proud of her accomplishment, I felt bad for her. She has already called several times, because she "misses it". (Honestly, I have been putting it off a while.) And no, she does not want the grid because it's cheapest, she really loves it. Go figure!

Yes, she is planning to do a turned-over piping edge, as Linda describes. Ferret & Heidi, how do you do yours? I will let her know. She has definite ideas about how things should look. They may not be the same as mine, but they're not altogether bad ideas. I have feeling she was a pretty good seamstress at one time, but just does not yet understand the mechanics of quilting.

I took the job because someone had already turned her down & she was so proud of her accomplishment, I felt bad for her. She has already called several times, because she "misses it". (Honestly, I have been putting it off a while.) And no, she does not want the grid because it's cheapest, she really loves it. Go figure!

Catherine, I think that Linda hit it right when she said "Blecchh!"

I have never put piping on the edge of a quilt. It sounds like a neat idea but isn't it sort of thick what with backing, binding and top?

I just did a first time quilter's quilt but she said do what I thought would look good. She is coming to pick it up tomorrow so I hope she likes it.

Lib

Catherine, I think that Linda hit it right when she said "Blecchh!"

I have never put piping on the edge of a quilt. It sounds like a neat idea but isn't it sort of thick what with backing, binding and top?

I just did a first time quilter's quilt but she said do what I thought would look good. She is coming to pick it up tomorrow so I hope she likes it.

Lib

Archived