Need suggestions please

This quilt was next but her backer is too short (only 1/4" extra on each side) so I have a little longer to think about it. I am going to do feathered circles in the gold areas and I think I'll do a swirly feather border in the green skinny border but I'm not sure what to do on the lily's. My problem is that the thread color. I'm using a med. gold color on the gold background and it looks nice. It also looks nice in the light background behind the lily's because it actually has a small amount of that color. I can't decide on what background fill to use but I'm leaning toward McTavishing. This is a full custom job. The outside border is a really pretty fabric but it won't show much of the quilting so I'm leaning toward piano keys there. I sure wish I could do feathers but they won't show. The other option is to just outline the fabric motifs. I really like that border fabric. My problem is that I don't really like the thread on the lily's. The yare so much darker. Would you change thread and do those with a different color or would you just SID and let them be? If you have other ideas feel free to give suggestions!

This quilt was next but her backer is too short (only 1/4" extra on each side) so I have a little longer to think about it. I am going to do feathered circles in the gold areas and I think I'll do a swirly feather border in the green skinny border but I'm not sure what to do on the lily's. My problem is that the thread color. I'm using a med. gold color on the gold background and it looks nice. It also looks nice in the light background behind the lily's because it actually has a small amount of that color. I can't decide on what background fill to use but I'm leaning toward McTavishing. This is a full custom job. The outside border is a really pretty fabric but it won't show much of the quilting so I'm leaning toward piano keys there. I sure wish I could do feathers but they won't show. The other option is to just outline the fabric motifs. I really like that border fabric. My problem is that I don't really like the thread on the lily's. The yare so much darker. Would you change thread and do those with a different color or would you just SID and let them be? If you have other ideas feel free to give suggestions!

post--13461904305186_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Heidi - I think what you have planned sounds really nice. McTavishing behind the lilies will look nice, and then you can CC or line dance the lilies. I have to admit my first impulse would be to just find a stencil that would complement the feathered plain blocks and use it over the lilies, but I'm not much of a freehander, I'm a stencil girl.

Linda

Guest Linda S

Heidi - I think what you have planned sounds really nice. McTavishing behind the lilies will look nice, and then you can CC or line dance the lilies. I have to admit my first impulse would be to just find a stencil that would complement the feathered plain blocks and use it over the lilies, but I'm not much of a freehander, I'm a stencil girl.

Linda

Thanks guys. I was fearing I would be changing threads 3 times! I don't know if burgandy will work though because there are some lilies that are more toward pink and some more toward red. The green is the same in all the blocks.

Kristina the backer is pretty busy too. I think feathers would actually cut up the motifs on the front too much. I'm leaning toward outlining the motifs and doing feathers in the flower parts. I think that would pull it all together but not take away from it.

Thanks guys. I was fearing I would be changing threads 3 times! I don't know if burgandy will work though because there are some lilies that are more toward pink and some more toward red. The green is the same in all the blocks.

Kristina the backer is pretty busy too. I think feathers would actually cut up the motifs on the front too much. I'm leaning toward outlining the motifs and doing feathers in the flower parts. I think that would pull it all together but not take away from it.

My first impression is also to mctavish the background of the lilies in a matching thread, cc the flowers and do piano keys in the borders as they are so busy. I think your idea of feather wreaths in the plain areas is perfect and that will be the "star" of the quilt.

My first impression is also to mctavish the background of the lilies in a matching thread, cc the flowers and do piano keys in the borders as they are so busy. I think your idea of feather wreaths in the plain areas is perfect and that will be the "star" of the quilt.

Thanks girls. Kenna that is a really pretty quilt. I thought about pebbles but since this has more swirl to it I think McTavishing will give it more movement. After sleeping on it I'm also thinking that keeping the same color thread into the off-white area, which actually has that gold color in it, would make it look more connected vs keeping the blocks completely separated. My thinking is that I would McTavish around the feather wreath and right into the lily part. I will definitely have to SID around that lily and there will be SID on the white side and on the red side so thread might show. I'm thinking a gold will blend a little better than off-white. Thinking out loud girls so keep the ideas coming. I did think about invisible thread but I don't think this quilt style is right for it. I've used it but I'm still not sold on using it for heirloom style quilts and this will be more on that line.

Thanks girls. Kenna that is a really pretty quilt. I thought about pebbles but since this has more swirl to it I think McTavishing will give it more movement. After sleeping on it I'm also thinking that keeping the same color thread into the off-white area, which actually has that gold color in it, would make it look more connected vs keeping the blocks completely separated. My thinking is that I would McTavish around the feather wreath and right into the lily part. I will definitely have to SID around that lily and there will be SID on the white side and on the red side so thread might show. I'm thinking a gold will blend a little better than off-white. Thinking out loud girls so keep the ideas coming. I did think about invisible thread but I don't think this quilt style is right for it. I've used it but I'm still not sold on using it for heirloom style quilts and this will be more on that line.

Archived