Won Ribbons . . . but No Ribbons

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's such a simple & inexpensive thing to do,, one show

that I know of had quilters protest for ribbons. Shows soon realize

that they've got to recogize the quilters/artists.

it's the whole reason they call it a "quilt" show!

It's such a simple & inexpensive thing to do,, one show

that I know of had quilters protest for ribbons. Shows soon realize

that they've got to recogize the quilters/artists.

it's the whole reason they call it a "quilt" show!

Our Guild show is in Oct. 2011, and I'm going to suggest they have ribbons for two party quilts... it can get wild though, for instance in a group project and one quilter. Don't know what I'd suggest in that case.

We have several la quilters in the area 3 in Sanford, and the competition is wicked between a few of them. I'm sure they would all prefer a ribbon for their winning quilts, too.

Hmm now, how to approach since I'm a la:o person, but not usually in the big time running. LOL Guess I best approach this myself, and not ask my friend to ask about it.

They are adding a couple new categories, "Men" "First Quilt" etc.

I hope all guilds and shows start taking notice.. Notes of request and objections would be in order I think.

By the way, the ribbons actually are pretty pricy in our area.. so much so our Pres. not the show committee, (grrrr) has decided we will make ours with a small paper pieced block in the center. No idea how they plan to get the place put on the quilt.

RitaR

Our Guild show is in Oct. 2011, and I'm going to suggest they have ribbons for two party quilts... it can get wild though, for instance in a group project and one quilter. Don't know what I'd suggest in that case.

We have several la quilters in the area 3 in Sanford, and the competition is wicked between a few of them. I'm sure they would all prefer a ribbon for their winning quilts, too.

Hmm now, how to approach since I'm a la:o person, but not usually in the big time running. LOL Guess I best approach this myself, and not ask my friend to ask about it.

They are adding a couple new categories, "Men" "First Quilt" etc.

I hope all guilds and shows start taking notice.. Notes of request and objections would be in order I think.

By the way, the ribbons actually are pretty pricy in our area.. so much so our Pres. not the show committee, (grrrr) has decided we will make ours with a small paper pieced block in the center. No idea how they plan to get the place put on the quilt.

RitaR

I took one class and the instructor (can't rememer who, sorry), said put up a picture you took fo the quilt and go buy yourself a ribbong and put it on it and hang the picture and ribbon on the wall. It makes you feel better even tho the ribbon is not from the show. I also don't think it is fair, but what are you to do, if you complain too much they call you a whiner.

Shirley

I took one class and the instructor (can't rememer who, sorry), said put up a picture you took fo the quilt and go buy yourself a ribbong and put it on it and hang the picture and ribbon on the wall. It makes you feel better even tho the ribbon is not from the show. I also don't think it is fair, but what are you to do, if you complain too much they call you a whiner.

Shirley

Originally posted by shirleyl

Shirley

They do, but sometimes they then fix the problem. It's worth a go. I also agree about getting your own ribbon. I am thinking of having copies made of trophies I only get to keep for a year. Once they go back it feels like you didn't win. It's odd but it's like having the award taken away. I figure if I replace them with my own copy it won't feel like a loss.

Ferret

Originally posted by shirleyl

Shirley

They do, but sometimes they then fix the problem. It's worth a go. I also agree about getting your own ribbon. I am thinking of having copies made of trophies I only get to keep for a year. Once they go back it feels like you didn't win. It's odd but it's like having the award taken away. I figure if I replace them with my own copy it won't feel like a loss.

Ferret

Start writing it on your intake form that any quilt the customer enters in a show that wins a ribbon needs to have a photo of the quilt with the ribbon given/sent/ emailed to you. Then discuss it at the time you take in, and/or return the quilt. Then the customers will start to be educated that it is everyone's effort that made the quilt what it is.

I wonder if customers would start to see the "full picture" if you have pictures of the same quilt top, in process, as a top only, beginning of layer/or quilting, and finally finished and bound. Then ask them what is the real quilt (or best picture of quilt) and what made that one the best? When I used to decorate cakes, I never thought they looked very good as I was working on them, and always knew they needed something more. Then I would put the leaves on the flowers and they immediately looked right, when I added the borders, then it looked real and finished. The same thing goes with quilts.

Start writing it on your intake form that any quilt the customer enters in a show that wins a ribbon needs to have a photo of the quilt with the ribbon given/sent/ emailed to you. Then discuss it at the time you take in, and/or return the quilt. Then the customers will start to be educated that it is everyone's effort that made the quilt what it is.

I wonder if customers would start to see the "full picture" if you have pictures of the same quilt top, in process, as a top only, beginning of layer/or quilting, and finally finished and bound. Then ask them what is the real quilt (or best picture of quilt) and what made that one the best? When I used to decorate cakes, I never thought they looked very good as I was working on them, and always knew they needed something more. Then I would put the leaves on the flowers and they immediately looked right, when I added the borders, then it looked real and finished. The same thing goes with quilts.

It seems to me that the logical thing to do would be to go the whomever is in charge of the whole affair and find out why there are no ribbons and see how one goes about ordering ribbons. It may be that non-quilters are in charge and don't give a hoot about the whole things.

Start at the top! You'd be amazed what you can get accomplished.

It seems to me that the logical thing to do would be to go the whomever is in charge of the whole affair and find out why there are no ribbons and see how one goes about ordering ribbons. It may be that non-quilters are in charge and don't give a hoot about the whole things.

Start at the top! You'd be amazed what you can get accomplished.

Archived