Won Ribbons . . . but No Ribbons

Well this weekend the Gulf States Quilting Association (GSQA) held in quilt show. Several of my customers entered quilts and two quilts that I quilted won ribbons. But, alas, down here in the slow south the quilter does not get a ribbon. Yes I am pouting. Last year in a Parish Fair (County Fair everywhere else) several quilts I quilted won ribbons (one Best of Show) but no ribbons. I think I will draw a picture of the ribbons for the wall in my private studio. Maybe one day we will catch up with the rest of the world.

Oh well -- I'm done.

Sandra

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this weekend the Gulf States Quilting Association (GSQA) held in quilt show. Several of my customers entered quilts and two quilts that I quilted won ribbons. But, alas, down here in the slow south the quilter does not get a ribbon. Yes I am pouting. Last year in a Parish Fair (County Fair everywhere else) several quilts I quilted won ribbons (one Best of Show) but no ribbons. I think I will draw a picture of the ribbons for the wall in my private studio. Maybe one day we will catch up with the rest of the world.

Oh well -- I'm done.

Sandra

Guest Linda S

I think you have every right to pout. Quilting makes the quilt (and sometimes, it's the only thing that saves it!). There should always be two ribbons when two people have worked on the quilt.

Linda

Guest Linda S

I think you have every right to pout. Quilting makes the quilt (and sometimes, it's the only thing that saves it!). There should always be two ribbons when two people have worked on the quilt.

Linda

I am so disappointed that this happened to you. The quilts that won were beautiful, but the quilting certainly played a big part. Each quilt was displayed with the name of the piecer and whom it was quilted by, even if more than one person that did either task. As a viewer I assumed that each person received a ribbon, as each completed quilt was certainly the result of the work of more than just one person. I hope that they rethink this in the future.

Dana

I am so disappointed that this happened to you. The quilts that won were beautiful, but the quilting certainly played a big part. Each quilt was displayed with the name of the piecer and whom it was quilted by, even if more than one person that did either task. As a viewer I assumed that each person received a ribbon, as each completed quilt was certainly the result of the work of more than just one person. I hope that they rethink this in the future.

Dana

Sandra,

I agree there should be 2 ribbons. One for the maker of the quilt and one for the quilter. I have won 2 blue ribbons these past two years and my quilter didn't get a ribbon and the quilting helped make the quilt a winner. The last quilt I sold but I wouldn't let the buyer have my blue ribbon. I just didn't think it mattered to them as much as it did to me. My quilter should have a ribbon also.

Diana:

Sandra,

I agree there should be 2 ribbons. One for the maker of the quilt and one for the quilter. I have won 2 blue ribbons these past two years and my quilter didn't get a ribbon and the quilting helped make the quilt a winner. The last quilt I sold but I wouldn't let the buyer have my blue ribbon. I just didn't think it mattered to them as much as it did to me. My quilter should have a ribbon also.

Diana:

Our local show makes their own ribbons (no store bought ones here). The ribbons reflect the theme of the show - this year is log cabin so the ribboms have a tiny log cabin block at the top. You could just make a duplicate for yourself. Now, i know it is not exactly the same as having one awarded to you but the ribbon is just a token that you won. YOU WON so hand one in your studio (or studio to be) just so you can be reminded that your work made it happen!!!! I know you have time now!!! BTW, I meant to go to that darned show and forgot it was going on.

Our local show makes their own ribbons (no store bought ones here). The ribbons reflect the theme of the show - this year is log cabin so the ribboms have a tiny log cabin block at the top. You could just make a duplicate for yourself. Now, i know it is not exactly the same as having one awarded to you but the ribbon is just a token that you won. YOU WON so hand one in your studio (or studio to be) just so you can be reminded that your work made it happen!!!! I know you have time now!!! BTW, I meant to go to that darned show and forgot it was going on.

Archived