MAHALO BARB & CATHERINE!

My friend, Elaine and I had a wonderful week on the Big Island at "Quilt Hawaii" and we were able to top it off with a trip to Catherine's beautiful studio for a longarm maintenance class with Barb Mayfield.

Barb is the BEST... she explained technical machine stuff, so that even the simple minded (me) could understand them. I now know, step by step, how to keep my machine in top running order. The best part was that throughout her explanations, she had us up close and personal with Catherine's Millie, so that we could actually see what the manual (well-written) was "talking" about!

Despite being in "Paradise", we are a long plane trip away from any live APQS service support. So we rely on the phone system (Amy) for technical help.

So Barb is OFFICIALLY our APQS Service Rep and we are hoping next year that she will take another "working" vacation to the islands. AND WE ARE GRATEFUL!

Catherine was a lovely hostess, served us lunch, opened up her studio, let us play with her machine (technically - we had all the screws out!). Considering that she has not had her Millie that long - she has a great reputation, locally as a machine quilter! We saw her work in every quilt/fabric shop we visited AND she had several beautiful quilts in the show!!

Thank you to the both of them for time well-spent!

Wow! Sounds like so much fun. And so lucky you to have Barb as your rep. She rocks. Well...I gotta say that I have met her twice, and last year I chatted on the phone with her when I had a problem and I've spent some time with her at MQS in 2009. She works so hard and is selfless. She doesn't batt an eye to rise to the occasion to help you. She will do anything for you. I absolutely adore Barb Mayfield. She is (in my humble opinion) a jewel, a gem, a diamond, a peach. I wish we had more Barb Mayfields on this planet; it would be a better place with more people like her.

Glad you had a productive visit and fun training session.

Awwww, stop it, all of you - I'm blushing!!! Really, the main goal to pretty much everything I do, is to help our APQS users get so comfortable with their machines, that my help isn't necessary anymore. Looks like I'm getting there.;) And I wouldn't be here (Hawaii) without the wonderful training, advice and help of APQS, specifically Heidi, Mark, and where machines are concerned, Amy and Christy - they are the ones that really rock!!

Now I have to go attend a day-long, boring, non-quilt-related business meeting, to justify my trip over here - but I'll be thinking quilting!! Well, and scuba diving...... (glug):cool:

As to diving, my DH and I have been diving here for a week - check out our pix on my facebook page - and Catherine is joining us tomorrow - yay!!:P:P

Yes, Barb's visit has been great. After Barbara, Elaine & Kaz (who we HOPE is lurking out there somewhere & soon will join us) left to go back to Oahu, Barb & her DH Mike installed my new M & M wheels. THEY ROCK!! (The wheels too.) My machine is running better than ever. Barb even came over last night to give my machine a little more fine-tuning; she & Mike both have really gone out of their way to help me.

Barb & Mike have been scuba diving every day this week & last. I haven't had time to join them yet, but plan to do so tomorrow. This afternoon we may hit the quilt & fabric shops in Kona, & Saturday I'm taking them on a Volcano tour. I've been having a great time. PJ, wish you were here too! You too, Linnea.

Barb is indeed Hawaii's official Local Dealer, and since I am a Moxie we hope she & Mike will come back often.

Archived